litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hurricane

Johno

Hi Guys..

Just began to fit my shiny new Hurricane but have hit a small snag! I have just removed the OEM air box and found another black box above the wheel arch I was not expecting!

Firstly....what the hell is it?

Secondly....does it need to come out for me to fit the inlet pipe?

Thirdly...if it does need to come out, how the hell do you do it?

Any assistance would be most appreciated as I currently have the car in bits! The sun is also shinning so must drive soon!!

Cheers,

Johno

BTW It's a 111s 2004 MY

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johno

Your the lucky owner of a 111s,and as such you have two airboxes,one with a filter and one that helps keep the car quieter,well that according to Lotus.remove the rear wheel and wheel liner this is the only way to get at the second airbox,the added bonus is that it makes fitting the Hurricane a whole lot easier.

hth

Regards

Jon

Cheers Jon thanks for the fast response, you’re a star!

I wasn't expecting such a big job TBH and the wife is moaning at me (as they do!)

I don't suppose it would matter if I just attached the Hurricane for now and left the inlet for another day (maybe when I have divorced the wife) would it?

LOL!

You could just put the cone on I guess,but your not going to get the full effect until you connect the inlet,its not the biggest job to get that airbox out,just a couple of bolts from what I remember,although if your getting pressure from swmbo then I'd leave it until another day.btw be very careful connecting to the air scoop the plastic on the hurricane inlet is not of the best quality,get yourself some big cable ties you can use these to secure the inlet pipe,might sound daft but its a reall ball ache if you get everything back together and a couple of days later notice that the scoop has become detached.

Hope shes not giving you too much grief,tell her it will be well worth it when its done :drive:

Regards

Jon

Hi Rob,

I put a decat on mine a few weeks ago and could really tell the difference in both noise and power. I do have a sports exhaust fitted though which could make a difference I suppose.

I am yet to fit the inlet pipe for the Hurricane but without it didn't notice much difference in sound but power for sure.

Trouble is I'm probably already deaf!!

I didn't notice too much difference in noise levels when I put my hurricane on a month or two ago (apart from the sucking noise from the left inlet).

Changing to a decat pipe makes it so much louder though - whether that is a combination of the 2 or just the decat part I'm not sure about..

hmm, thinking now I might have done something wierd! I have a regular exhaust and I really didn't notice much different when the decat went on. I did do it all myself including the MIL eliminator so that might have something to do with it.

The huricane only sounds different when accelerating. the decat might have made the base noise a little louder (probably more hissy actually) but not anything else.

Is the std cat on an elise a normal type one, or a hi flow type?.. Im just wondering what sort of difference there is between a good exhaust with and without a cat? much in it performance wise?..

Is the std cat on an elise a normal type one, or a hi flow type?..  Im just wondering what sort of difference there is between a good exhaust with and without a cat? much in it performance wise?..

I don't believe that the std cat is a high flow unit. There is one available from Eliseparts I understand (Sports cat).

From my experience the improvement in performance from the decat is very noticeable as is the noise! Certainly £70 well spent.

hmm, thinking now I might have done something wierd!  I have a regular exhaust and I really didn't notice much different when the decat went on.  I did do it all myself including the MIL eliminator so that might have something to do with it. 

The huricane only sounds different when accelerating.  the decat might have made the base noise a little louder (probably more hissy actually) but not anything else.

I guess the only way to really find out if it is the exhaust that makes the difference would be to fit one!! Go on, treat yourself!! :D

Archived