litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Eventful Weekend..

bermudabob

Just got the S1 back from Horizons on Saturday after having a C service, new T1-Rs and a decat pipe putting on...

First impressions - my god its so much louder! Lots of shell suited types turning their heads as I drove down the high street in Cradley Heath.

The breaks still squeak though - so I'm open to suggestions as to what to do about that.

The biggy was what happened this morning (Sunday). I was driving down the road about .5 mile from my house when I could smell some serious burning plastic. I stopped after I noticed a hugh cloud of smoke coming from the engine vents behind me. Upon opening the bonnet, I noticed a missing oil filler cap - closer inspection showed that it had fallen onto the exhaust manifold and was merrily bubbling away with the heat.

Well, I've got a new filler cap from Halfrauds, and now have to find a way to chip the plastic of the manifold, as it stinks when the engine is on.

I can only think that the cap wasn't put back on properly when being serviced... I'm not too miffed, as I was so relieved that it was a relatively minor problem. But with their reputation I would have thought Horizon wouldn't have made this kind of mistake.

Apart from that I'm quite happy with them though!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlucky ! Still, mistakes can happen. As you said, lucky it was nothing serious.

TBH, I think I'd just drive around fast somewhere and let it burn. It'll eventually stop and anything that's left will be brittle and chip off easily.

well, went for a blat to try and burn off the plastic from the pipes - only took 5 minutes for the smoke to stop. Took another 15 for the smell to go away. When I looked after I got back home, there was only a couple of white marks on the manifold.

No problem with oil level - I think it was just not put back on properly after having the oil changed.

I still have no idea what type of pads I have - I had a look and am none the wiser (mechanical aptitude of a squashed fly...). To be honest all I can see are the calipers, and a grey looking pad...

not much help there I suppose...!

Just got off the phone with Mike, and I'm much reassured by him! He's sending me some anti squeal brake liner stuff by way of an apology (I'd forgotten to ask him to look into the brakes...typical).

All in all, I'm actually quite impressed - I think you can judge a place by their attitude towards the customer when something goes wrong (which is bound to happen occasionally) and I certainly think that Horizons has got a good one. I'll certainly be going back.

I have seen *much* worse things come out of Horizon's doors.

I'd suggest that on this forum you are very much a minority (in fact you'll be in a minority of one). Please elaborate, as I'm sure many of us would be surpised to hear it.

Horizon Have got a Massively Positive reputation on this forum and so they should have, they do a great Job when looking after our cars and when they do make a mistake (which will happen occasionally, as we are all only human) they Make sure that the problem is rectified as quickly as possible and go out of their way to reassure the owner.

That is why I will for the foreseeable future be taking my car to Horizon..

If only every company you had to deal with had the Customer Care ethic that Horizon had the world would be a better place :blush:

According to Mike they are MMC. I don't know if thats standard or not..

Yeah MMC are std for the S1, alot of people who use their cars on track, quickly changed over to steel disks and pads tho as the MMC disks were prone to overheating on long track days and warping/melting.

I find that if my brakes are squeeling its because i haven't been using them Hard enough, go out for a Blast and do some Hard Braking, you should find that the squeel will subside and hopefully stop...

I use the brake squeeling as an indicator that i haven't been having as much fun driving my car as i should be!!

Archived