litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sato Predicting `spectacular` Infineon Weekend

Mark H

KV Racing Technology IZOD IndyCar Series rookie Takuma Sato is looking forward to the challenges of the tough Infineon Raceway road circuit this weekend in the 2010 Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma.

Sato has shown impressive displays on road courses this year, and comes off a testing session last week on the 2.303-mile, twelve-turn track with solid optimism. The F1 veteran has been spectacular this year in his maiden campaign on the permanent road circuits by qualifying in all three Firestone Fast Six rounds, including a season-best third two weeks ago at Mid-Ohio.

Driving the stunning green-and-gold No. 5 Lotus - KVRT Honda/Dallara/Firestone car, Sato has continued his learning curve as a rookie in the 17-race IZOD IndyCar Series with impressive road course speed.

In addition, the Japanese ace has been just as strong on the oval tracks, a completely new racing form for the open-wheel veteran. At Iowa he as ran as high third and he battled in the top five in his first oval outing at Kansas, but the road circuits are his ‘home' and the 33-year-old clearly expects to be in contention in both qualifying and the race this weekend at Infineon.

“It was my first visit to Infineon Raceway when we had a test there last week,” he acknowledged, “and I really enjoyed driving at this great venue. We did various set-up work at the test and we collected very valuable data, so I hope we can have a very strong race weekend. It is indeed a very challenging circuit with huge elevation changes; you just can't see how steep the hills are on pictures… I think racing there will be very exciting and spectacular.”

The Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma is the final road race for the series in 2010, and will be televised live on Sunday on Versus at 5pm EDT.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived