litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Paul Tracy Pumped To Return To Edmonton This Weekend; Toronto Finish H

Mark H

Moraes, Viso and Sato Join Tracy In 4-car KV Racing Technology Effort

EDMONTON, Alta., Canada (July 21, 2010) — Paul Tracy said his No. 15 Honda Canada-Make A Wish-Motegi Racing KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry “came alive” in the second half of last Sunday’s Honda Indy Toronto.

Now, Tracy is pumped up to get back in the car’s cockpit this weekend (July 23-25) for the Honda Indy Edmonton in the 1.96-mile, 3.17-km, 14-turn temporary circuit on the City Centre Airport.

Despite a disappointing 24th starting position at Toronto, Tracy quickly passed six drivers in two laps and led 14 laps in the middle of the race. But, late in the race, Tracy’s KV Racing Technology machine was one of the fastest cars on the track, and, only a brief spin kept Tracy from a Top Eight finish. Now, Tracy, 41, sets his sights on the Edmonton track. A 26-car field is set to begin practice this Friday (July 23).

Tracy is no stranger to the City Centre Raceway with top-five finishes from 2005 to 2008 and drove the Honda Canada-Wounded Warriors mount to sixth at the checkered flag in 2009. Look for PT to be in the mix Sunday too.

Tracy will be joined by Mario Moraes, E.J. Viso and F-1 veteran and series rookie Takuma Sato in the four-driver KV Racing Technology lineup at Edmonton.

Moraes, the youngest series regular at age 21, has been strong in road course events at Long Beach (6th) and Watkins Glen (5th) this year in the No. 32 KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone car. Moraes finished 14th at Toronto last Sunday.

Viso, driver of the No. 8 PDVSA — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, had an impressive car at Toronto with quick times in practice and the race. The personable Venezuelan driver drove near the top-ten for most of the Honda Indy Toronto before being involved in a late race incident with Alex Tagliani and Rafael Matos. Viso finished third at Iowa last month for his best IZOD IndyCar Series finish.

Formula One veteran Sato is an IZOD IndyCar Series rookie driver this year in the No. 5 Lotus — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry and could be a contender in his Edmonton debut. Sato, a podium finisher at the 2004 USGP in Indianapolis, has been competitive in road racing qualifying with two top-six starting positions in 2010 and seeks another chance in the Firestone Fast Six on Saturday afternoon. Sato ran as high as fourth in the Watkins Glen event.

The 11th stop on the IZOD IndyCar Series will be televised live on Versus starting at 5:30 p.m. EDT. The Honda Indy Edmonton will be the final temporary road circuit event this year.

DRIVER QUOTES:

PAUL TRACY, #15 HONDA CANADA—MAKE A WISH—MOTEGU RACING-KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE: “We suffered through most of the weekend at Toronto with an ill-handling car. But in the middle of the race, our Make A Wish/Honda Canada/Motegi Racing car came alive. The car was very good in the last 20 laps. That last stint has me chomping at the bit for Edmonton. We need to roll off the truck ready to go there. We know that the Ganassi and Penske cars will be tough there, especially Will Power. He was fast at Edmonton last year. If we can qualifying better this time, I believe we can be competitive against those top teams. I’m ready to go.”

MARIO MORAES, #32 KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE: “It's great to be going back to Edmonton. The KV Racing Technology team gave me a great car here last year. I qualified seventh but unfortunately got taken out by my team mate (Paul Tracy) on the first lap . I am hoping to have a better weekend this year and look forward to getting back out on track.”

E.J. VISO, #8 PDVSA - KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE (Running a special Bufferfly helmet to celebrate Canada’s top insect): “We are excited to go to Edmonton. It is a bumpy track, but it is very fast. There are a few crazy corners that makes for some wild racing. We have made some good progression with the No. 8 PDVSA -- KV Racing team and my engineer, Bill Pappas. I believe our road course car is getting more competitive. All of the little things that we have learned in recent races will pay off for us this weekend.”

TAKUMA SATO, #5 LOTUS - KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE: "Edmonton will be another adventure run for me! This place is again a very unique circuit as it is based on an airfield and well known to be possibly the most physical place because of its short straights, constant corners and, of course, the famous bumps… So the car set up will be unique as well but KV Racing had strong cars there last year so I feel positive for the weekend".

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived