litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Radar Detectors Banned By Early Next Year

Bramble111s

as it says, the government is looking to bring in laws to ban radar detectors, these will be in place by early next year soonest.

They specifically mentioned that the idea is to prevent the detection of speed cameras, or actually 'accident black spots'....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a while ago that one of the manufacturers spokesmen said they are willing to go to court over this, because the detectors are effective at slowing the traffic down at accident blackspots etc, and the only reason Tony & the Police don't like them is because they want more speeding fines money.

By 2008 with this 'government' you won't be allowed to leave your house without there say so :blush:

Ban everything that's what I say :clap:

I'm going to start in May, by banning B.Lair :clap:

Reg - Rant over.

He's had his turn, the pendulum has swung too far one way.

The other lot may be far from perfect but at least they'll redress the balance for a few years. And they've already said they won't target motorists in the same way. I don't really care which party is running the country as neither really impacts my personal circumstances, but if I was prevented from driving and hence working, that would have a profound effect on my lifestyle. This one issue alone is enough to make me vote Tory.

Apparantly the ones to be banned are the ones which scan and send out a signal to block things, the GPS based ones ( like my snooper S3, fantastic by the way ) will be ok......................allegedly

Wouldn't suprise me if they banned them all. Aren't they all banned in France already. Heard stories about people going to Le Mans and getting them confiscated by the Gendarmes !

They can't ban GPS, thats the problem for them.

Radar detectors (which are a bit pants anyway) and Laser Diffusers are going...

Alan - i'm looking at the S3's myself, seem very cheap on eBay, they lack a couple of cool features i'd like that the S4 has, but i'm not sure its worth the extra £100 or so they go for!!!

Saw this on pistonheads, if the stats are true it makes interesting reading -

A Mori Poll recently found that a radar detector user is 28% less likely to have an accident than a non-user and most road accidents involve a motorist under 25 years old who are generally non-users of radar devices.

Last year around two million speeding tickets were issued - this year the figure is expected to reach three million. Nearly 11 million speeding tickets have been given since speed cameras were introduced in 1992. A third of motorists had points on their licence at the last count, and 286,186 motorists have lost their driving licences, most due to penalty points. The number of deaths on our roads hasn't decreased despite this.

Radar detectors are already banned in most other European countries.

Archived