litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exhaust popping and "spotting"

strees

Made some adjustments to the Hurrican yesterday, and checked the throttle to make sure it was not catching. I was stood next to the exhaust when blipping the throttle and noticed that the exhaust was "popping" when I lifted off the throttle - something I have not noticed before. I put a piece of paper next to the exhaust and noticed what appeared to be fuel (?) on the paper.

Bit concerned. Any ideas? I have reset the IAVC and cannot really think of anything else. Is there something I should be looking out for?

Cheers

Simon

:?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does your TB open and close fully?? if theres any play/ mis-adjustment then the throttle could be introducing more fuel than there is air going in and this could lead to unburnt fuel passing through to the exhaust and popping when coming in to contact with the hot exhaust pipes...Also this will cause your Cat to fail..if you have one :) i'd check the throttle cable and TB adjustment again, get some one to pumpt the acclerator pedal and you look in to the TB to see if all is well.

Best way to check if your car is running rich is the plugs.

Should be a light brown colour with maybe some light grey spots on them, shouldnt be any carbon build up.

Think it can also mean your O2 sensor is on the blink, a garage could plug a computer in and check that I'm sure.

Archived