litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Takuma: I Had Nowhere To Go...

Takuma Sato impressed on his oval debut on Saturday in the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 at Kansas Speedway, although sadly he was deprived of a top-six finish following a late collision with Hideki Mutoh.

Takuma, who started eleventh in the #5 Lotus-KVRT Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, had fought his way past the likes of Will Power, Victor Meira, Danica Patrick and Ryan Hunter-Reay before his misfortune with just 14 laps to go. He was eventually classified in 24th place.

"Today was a very exciting day for me being my first oval race," Sato reflected. "I was running in sixth place with 14 laps to go when a yellow flag came out. There was a pack in front on the restart while I was racing Hideki (Mutoh) side-by-side. It looked like he was pushing up to the wall and I had nowhere to go.

"After having a conversation with Hideki, he was being pushed up into me by the lapped orange car. We both had nowhere to go. It's very, very unfortunate. I feel bad for the fans, particularly for all of the Japanese fans and all of Hideki's fans.

"The KV Racing Technology Lotus Team did a fantastic job though. It's just frustrating and I'm very disappointed not to finish. However I really enjoyed racing with many great drivers and gaining a lot of positions as well as understanding how oval racing works."

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived