litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Clutch Pedal Squeak

Martin32

Everytime I depress the clutch pedal it sounds like I'm treading on a cat, the sqeak is getting worse, I've tried spraying WD40 but the sqeak always returns.

Someone told me I may need a new bush?!

Can anyone advise me if this will cure this irritation, and if leaving it will do any harm?

Also is it something that can be replaced/corrected easily?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi there

This link shows you how to resolve the problem  :)

http://www.lotus-elise.nl/Mods/Stainless_S...lutchpedal.html

Disco

Fantastic, cheers - have you or anyone out there carried this out - the difficult bit looks like getting the bushes back in as they look a tight fit - the homemade press looks the way to go.

Looks like a trip Nick Whale to order the bush kit then to the DIY Centre for a long thread, wing nuts and washers.

It's straightforward as long as you don't mind having your head stuck in the driver's footwell for a while.

The "kit" is a standard Lotus part no. Ordered mine from local Lotus dealer but had Horizon fit it.

Until you get round to replacingthe clutch trunnion, don't use WD40 on the existing one - it will cause the existing rubber to harden and eventually yield entirely. Use silicon/rubber lubricant.

Clutch  pedal ...

Mine started that as soon as I used the car with the hardtop on and the "heater" running.

Usual story of bushes, they dry and wear.

Hence Nyla type material which have an oily component.

Buy an original bush, then find the same item with Nyla characteristics from another supplier. :blush:

Job done, just put a bit of research in.

I pulled up at Horizon one day and Mike said, "what the hell is that noise" I replied with "oh its the clutch pedal squeaking"

I picked the car up later and its never squeaked since.. no idea what he did, but i don't think he repalced anything.

So i'd do that :blush:

Archived