Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tvr Chimaera 450 V8 Purchase

Zircon450

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob,

I myself was thinking about a chim. They are really nice looking cars, dead powerful and from my missus' point of view there easy to get in and out of. I still look from time to time on PH.

The reason i have never gone for one (other than i love the elise to much!!) is because of the unreliability! A lad at work bought one (a cerbra) paid in the region of £22k for it, as he was driving the 70 miles or so home and the clutch went!! Took TVR 3 week to get him a new one! by the time he had that fitted his starter motor had given up!! Although i have to say he loved it again now! and it does look great!! When he was looking to buy he was always told he'll need at least £3k a year to keep it going!! ;)

They do look great though, and there dead comfy and then theres the SOUND!!

Ever though about what ze germans have to offer??

964 Carrera 2/4

Boxter s (yes it was me who put it on the poll!! sorry!!!!)

ZM3 coupe

Clio V6? (just a thought??) Not german i know.

Personally, i'd keep the elise untill the summer not only so you get a better price for it but because they're so great in the summer!! You know you love it really!! :blink:

I don't get what goes wrong with these engines ??

Aren't the Griffs the 4.2 or 5 Litre boggo Rover units ??

If so haven't these engines been around for like 30 years (in range rover/westfield v8/old rover v8)

do TVR add something in the mixer which breaks them ?

Sagaris for me please! :)

I love the interiors though - like works of art!

Plus I love the way the exteriors are going. Where you have Ford going for 'New Edge' or whatever it is, which to me just looks like they have designed cars to look futuristic rather than asthetically pleasing. Hmm, what Ford hatchback shall I choose from?

Then your've got BMW who've lost the plot completly! Shows how bad the cars look when they actually redesign the car after its gone out to production!! 'Flame Edging' horrid!

Thank god TVR design cars that still look good and dont bow down to the 'It's got to look future!' Curves are the way to go!! :)

Plus look at the new DB9 and especially the new V8 absolutly georgous! If only Jag had gone ahead with the F-type, and not threatend to give us the shite they're thinking of making now!

Dixie...I reckon Bobs after an old school sports car with a bit of oomph as opposed to a modern traction controlled sports car :)

there aint a lot of choice is there when you think about it like that ??

I reckon a mid nineties Esprit would be a more sensible choice over a chim ?

Dixie...I reckon Bobs after an old school sports car with a bit of oomph as opposed to a modern traction controlled sports car  :)

there aint a lot of choice is there when you think about it like that ??

I reckon a mid nineties Esprit would be a more sensible choice over a chim ?

Same here! Esprits what you've lusted after - You know what you should do!

A 964 C2 is (fairly) old school.

And the ZM3 is supposed to be one of the most fun cars to drive quickly around?? Smokey powerslides and all that!!

Just a suggestion though :)

How come you've gone off the Esprit Bob?

TVR's more TR6 than Elise - if that's the feeling you're missing, Bob. Complete with olde worlde reliability. You could always go for a 1970 Triumph Bonneville for more certainty if it's that left-by-the-roadside feel you want.

Each to their own. TVR's not in the Jag/Porsche class for GT prowess - a bit uncouth. Merc & BMW don't count - their coupes are for LA Plastic surgeons and pimps.

Not quite sure where TVR's fit in these days. Beaten soundly by Lotus for handling - Noble for that matter. What can you do with all that speed on the road if it's tricky through the bends? And it would be less rewarding as a track day tool for handling reasons.

I just don't get it - but plenty do.

I aggree with Graeme, my bro in law (with me as passenger) went down to Le-mans in one and got pretty fed up with being dicked on by pretty much every decent car on the A roads. On the other side they were pretty swift in a straight line (but what fun is that).

Also IMHO, Chimeras are the most girly looking of the TVR's. Back end looks nice though. :)

I love the sound and exterior looks of the new TVRs, especially the T350C, but the interiors are a bit dissappointing.

As for handling, I thought the 350's were ok. Certainly trounced the Elise 111R round Bedford (admittedly not too many bends).

TVR 350C - 1:24.95

Elise 111R - 1:29.20

(source EVO).

I think if you are annoyed at the unreliability of an Elise, Bob, a TVR would make your blood boil.

Go back to the Esprit idea.

Perhaps you're using this as reverse psychology??? Mention Esprit and everyone goes "ouch big bills". Mention TVR and everyone goes "Esprits are cheaper to run".

Very clever Bob, very clever :)

Archived