litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

(probably) Very Stupid Question

surrealillusions

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you park on a slope in gear, without the handbrake on, will that cause any extra stress on the engine/gearbox etc..?

Very little compared to giving it full beans at an engine speed where peak torque is reached.

It's common to do this in a race car to stop putting the brakes on when stopped as it causes heat problems on the disks. Most pit lanes have no slopes though! :(

Mike

If you park on a slope in gear, without the handbrake on, will that cause any extra stress on the engine/gearbox etc..?

I alway do it after my car rolled down the hill when I left it with just the handbrake on!

I alway do it after my car rolled down the hill when I left it with just the handbrake on!

agreed, always park mine like this, just remember to dip clutch or engage neutral when you jump back in and start it :(

cant see how it would cause wear if stationary, particulary as car is relatively light

richbk

Ah..thanks.

Noticed the brakes sticking recently after a while. Say over 2 or so days of no use, hand brake is on, doesnt start off smoothly from a stand still first time. Kind of like the brakes are stuck to the wheels. So hopefully keeping the hand brake off in future will stop this.

:(

Ah..thanks.

Noticed the brakes sticking recently after a while. Say over 2 or so days of no use, hand brake is on, doesnt start off smoothly from a stand still first time. Kind of like the brakes are stuck to the wheels. So hopefully keeping the hand brake off in future will stop this.

:)

TADTS - especially in damp weather.

There are little cables on the back of each rear caliper. get someone to sit in the car and put the handbrake on and off while you lye on the ground watching the cables, they should move without 'sticking' mine were 'sticking' and this failed the MOT so I just got my G/F to pull the handbrake on and off loads as I WD40 & white greased the cables up. Works a peach now & passed the MOT :)

(I'm sure I might get told off for doing it that way but it worked :) )

TADTS - especially in damp weather.

Mine does this all the time when there is any damp, even though it's parked in the garage with no handbrake on and not in gear.

As said TADTS

Archived