litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Does Driving An Elise Everyday...

MattyB

..ruin the experience?

New EVO Maggy out, end of term test of the VX220 Turbo. At the end of the article, it says that to really see how special it is, and truely appriciate it, you need to own it as a second car.

I can gel with that. You kinda grow numb to how good it is. I forget how good mine is until I drive my dads Rover600 - other end of the spectrum, and all that :clap:

Also, another amusing thing - Chee has an S2000, and other S2000 owners are calling him "soft" and "limp wristed" for leaving the hardtop on....I don't know, these "hardcore" S2000 drivers, eh :unsure:

Oh, before I go. Page 103, bottom picture. One of the most gorgeous shapes I've ever seen. If only I had 175k :(

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

car does feel more special if you have driven a 'normal' car for a bit, or had a few days off, but my car always makes me smile :unsure:

ps. nice avatar, but speeder bikers rule!! lol

I love my car, all the time.... i never find it boring to drive, drive other cars and they cease to be exciting, so i guess it may make the Elise feel more special, but it feels special anyway, so i'm keeping mine as my only toy for a while yet :unsure:

Agree with the special thing.

I put up a post here recently looking for ideas about a new company car with a £30K budget. Suppose I was looking for inspiration because I really don't give a monkey's what I drive day-to-day - call me ungrateful! The Elise does that to you, though, because nothing else provides that combination of sensations.

However, for me and other "2nd car" owners, there are Elise days and non-Elise days. With the rain lashing down and wind blowing a gale, or 200 miles of motorway to contemplate, I'm afraid I'd take the higher-riding, softer, quieter, ABS-ed, stereo-audible, mass production yawnmobile every time...

... and then there are the Elise days!

Graeme

Drive to work this morning :unsure: say no more, fantastic fun every day..

The original plan when I bought the elise was to buy something else for the winter and daily use.. But bugger that, rather be driving the elise :clap:

I've considered a cheap runabout many times.... but can't see myself doing it.

I'm not sure i cold drive another car everyday as i'd miss the Elise... was talking about this to Emma the other night, and she reckons i would adapt very quickly and easily... maybe i would, but i know which i'd rather be in!

Hmmm.....

I can see both points as i drive my elise 110 miles every day. It is nice to drive something else and then get back in and notice the immense difference but i can definitely say that i do appreciate it every day and it makes those 110 miles much much better!

I deliberately take the back roads to work and having any other car would then be frustrating!

Having said that, i can understand Graeme's comments about when its raining etc and the roof is leaking, you dont want to floor it because you quite like the front wheels leading the way.... a comfortable car has its appeal at those occasions! BUT IT ALWAYS DRIES UP!!! :lol:

Acutally i have just bought a little runabout and if youre wondering what to get, i can seriously recommend a......

post-2-1096970872.jpg

Driving another car in the week does make you appreciate the Liz more.

I used to have an old Renault 5 I used to commute to work in, the only thing is I used to try and drive it like I drove the Liz! :lol: A tad dangerous really! ;)

I'd love to use my Mk1 Golf as an everyday drive but the Insurance makes it to expensive. Can't beleive how much they charge to drive a 20 year old car which is slow compared to hot hatches nowadays!

Well, for 2 years I drove the Black Swan every day as my only car and it kept me sane (well almost). I made a point of getting one with a hard top when I bought and find I only used it about 3 weeks of the year and if I needed to park in Brum on a friday night etc. Did 40,000 miles about 70%+ with no roof on. used the shower cap every night and found it de-frosted better open than closed, so just wore more clothes. Had 3 hats, woollie job for the cold, baseball for the rain and sun-tan lotion for the sun.

Over the last 3 months have been driving my Chipsaway van all week and only get in the liz at weekends.

Have to say I have found all the journies "special", the commute to work, the trip into town, or the 500 mile round trip to see the rellies.

Hope I can keep it for ever now. Long live the Elise.

Peter

PS - do enjoy getting behind the wheel of almost anything, in Texas the other week a friend had arranged for a Cadillac drive. Went out in a CTV, about Jag size, wonderful for thier roads, then a CTS-V (their M5), 5.

OOps, must have hit something.

CTS-V, 5.7L V8, 400BHP, 395 lb/ft, 0 - 60 in 4.6 seconds and lots of fun, $50k, say £28k, so also very good value. After the Cadillacs I went out in a Hummer, well it was Texas, what a pile of pooh.

Archived