litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Leaking Radiator S1

Leeroy

I noticed a very fine spray of water coming out of the air vent in my bonnet this morning. I've had a look and the one of the ribs in the rad' has a pin prick sized hole.

I've spoken to the Nick Whale & Paul Matey and they are both suggesting about £500 to supply and fit a replacement.

A few questions:

-Does anyone know of a company that can carry out an in situ' repair as the hole is clearly visible and as most of the 6hrs labour quoted is to remove and replace the clam shell?

-I can source a replacement for £135 from EliseParts. Does anyone know a good garage that's capable of carrying out this repair (remove/replace clamshell) so I don't have to hand all my pocket money to Nick Whale?

- Should I be ultra brave and remove the clam myself? I've a good engineering back ground but have, until now, been reluctant to attempt removing either clamshell?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you based?

I had my rad replaced by Nick Whale, bill came to £670 in total...

Horizon Motorsport in Cradley Heath will do it, and do it well... give them a call on 01384 566660... ask them for advice.

If you are ok working with cars then it is do-able, but not an amateur job, bleeding the system can be a right pain! Removing the clam is probably the easiest part!

If you are competent... then go for it.

A few folk on here have removed the clam themselves (not me personally) and it wasn't that bad (hey, Matty did it, so it can't be :pile:)

AS is ay other problems include draining the system of coolant and i guess getting at the rad.

Yes, you'll need to remove the clam to get decent access to the rad & pipework around it. Hardest part of clam removal is getting the wheelarch liners free. Need to get the front wheels off, so a trolley jack is a pre-requisite.

I know, I spent the latter part of yesterday afternoon (the time when I should have been on part II of the run...) trying to do a rad repair without removing the clam, because I don't have a jack. The service manual gives extremely simple instructions on clam removal.

Graeme

Archived