litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise S1 Design Weight Transfer Percentage.

Zircon450

Hi fellow MLOC'ers,

Here's a little teaser for you.

Does anyone know the design percentage transfer of weight from rear to front under a braking force of 1g for a standard S1 Elise.

Trying to do some maths relating to brake bias front to rear, and mass/traction.

Is it hidden in some vehicle spec details that someone is aware of ?

:xmas:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark,

I know what you mean, but it can be recorded in real life so to speak, just don;t have the instruments at hand to record.

I'm just checking to see if anyone else went this route and picked up the data.

Lets see, but I suspect the responses will be low, I'm after factual data rather than personal preferences if you get my drift.

I'm sure its there - trust me, I'm a doctor !

Easy enough to calculate, but you need to measure the CG location on the car and the overall weight/static weight distribution.

A bit complicated to describe the techniques on here, but Allan Staniforth's 'Race and Rally Car Source Book' tells you how to measure the CG position. Unless you have a nice big surface plate and some accurate digital corner weight scales, the accuracy won't be spot on, but it will be good enough for some rough sums on brake bias.

Alternatively, just guess the CG height using a scale side drawing of the car: the static weight disribution is roughly 60/40% (so the CG lies 60% back from the front axle line) and the overall weight about 700kg. Brake bias isn't a precise art anyway, so even if you tried to calculate it down to 3 decimal places, you'd still need to fine tune things in reality to take account of differing front/rear tyre characteristics, road surface friction co-efficients etc. to get perfectly balanced brakes.

Hi Martin,

I wrote an extensive post as a reply but it's not showing now, don't know why.

Bottom line is I agree with 99% of what your sayin, and we are doing some brake caliper pressure testing when we take the car back from Horizon.

Were working on a 10 --> 20% weight shift as a start point under 1g.

I'll wait and see if my post surfaces before any more replies.

Ok Guys here you go ...

I want to know if the Orange beasty is anywhere near its design braking efficiencies before considering changes from the MMC's.

AND,

If I do go with steel disks, I want to be able to have a direct recordable comparison as a before and after figure.

I considered just popping to the local MOT centre and asking them to do a brake efficiency test on all four corners, change the disks, and then go back for a retest, but thats not really going to tell me much at this stage.

I want to know if the locking up problem is lightly seized rear calipers, wrong pads, worn pads, the vehicles braking system, fluids or if my driving style.

Either way I dont want to mask the problem by fitting better/alternative tyres until I'm sure.

We all know my P0's are crap anyway ! :(

So .. to ask again in a different way, does anyone have the brake efficiency data for a Lotus Elise S1 fitted with MMC disks and pads ?

Sorry I bored eveyone, its been an interesting couple of days playing about a bit. (Well for me anyway) !

:)

Here Martin, Lestat and Scott - have some Oranges.

MMC brakes are the best for the Elise. Ask anyone on SELOC... if you do lots of tracks etc then maybe ali belled disks and pagids are a better idea....

Fluid change a first IMO, or maybe a 1st Lotus day to learn how to get the best from your brakes :)

Ok so the cats out of the bag. No more probing for answers.

Were going to have a jolly good attempt at beating the class 2L sprint class in the the Friarsgate Curborough 2005 sprint championship.

We need to go sub 37 seconds to have a sniff, nearer 35 secs to beat it !

So ...

No nice warm tyres, no nice warm brake pads, no fear, and probably no chance of setting a decent time !

But ...

If anyone on MLOC will contribute, check data, give us half a chance of being competitive then POST POST POST.

Will also look for mates from MLOC to form a local (Tamworth) group meet like the Notts meet etc.

Were going to dual drive, Kims going to enter too - at last.

Please help if you can, it's been a long time since I competed in motorsport.

Bob

Well deffo have a word with Mike!

Also worth contacting SteveB on SELOC, he does lots of sprints and has a very sprint oriented car... should be in a great place to give advice!

Not sure in what way i could help, but feel free to ask, i can only say no :)

Dixie,

Have a look at the Curbourough website, its got all the blurb for this years championship, also send for the Curborough 2004 yearbook.

Its a best 6 timings out of 9 events, you don't have to do all events.

Class you need to look at is 2L (Lotus up to 2 litre)

Nice smooth tarmac circuit, good track facilities, run by Shenstone and District car club.

MSA regs apply, list 1A for tyres, Proban overalls a minimum, decent helmet.

Sprint school days are early in the year March ish.

HTH

:tup:

Looks good. I might have to think about doing that next year! I take it thats when your starting??

How much is each event? I couldn't find details on either the track or club websites. I take it's not just the £14 entrie fee!!

I'll got the yearbook when i get in.

Cheers!!

Archived