litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Does It Matter

PP21

Last time i'm going to ask something like this :)

Does it matter if i have Advans on front and put T1R's on the back?

or should i just match the front?

and what are yoko A539? :clap:

THANKS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different tyres front and rear will give you a slight difference in feel. I had P Zero's on front and toyos on the back and noted the car was understearing quite a lot. This was emphasised on the track. I ended up getting toyos all round before i stuffed the car into a hedge.

Hope that helps

Ally

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the car, if you want to drive quickly and have superb handling, then you should really keep all the tyres the same. But if you are not going to drive the car on the limit i would think that it won't make a great deal of difference, but you will have different charcteristics on the front than on the rear.

all IMHO but i HTH

Simple answer - Yes.

Longer answer... the tyres will hvae different characteristics, one has a stiffer sidewall, faster wear rate, the other has a softer sidewall, slightly harder compound. You will find some very strange characteristics of the car, understeer into oversteer etc.

Based on a hunch i am assuming you have Advans at the moment and are thinking of adding Toyo instead? The price difference between rear Advans and Toyo's is very small, so i would say get the rears to match... however if you do want Toyo's, you would easily be able to sell part worn front Advans to someone which would cover the difference to get 4 Toyo's fitted.

A539 are an old Yoko tyre, they are ok, but exceeded in technology and ability by many tyres today... good fun, but not as good as the others you mention.

Well i would say go for Advans on the rear then... about £230 IIRC.

Or as i said, sell the fronts and get T1-R all round... i reckon it makes sense to just fit Advan rears though as you already have the fronts - less hassle all round.

I would definitely go for the advans. I have toyos at the moment and every time i buy new ones i swear i will never do it again!

They are really slippy for the first few hundred miles (dont ask me why!) The advans are designed for the car and should therefore be worth the extra money.

HTH

STeve :)

Archived