litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Having Trouble With My Fan

Zircon450

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the support, a quick short update for now ...

The Orange beasty is in with Mike at Horizon, he's going to double check my diagnostics and call me with his findings.

Martin, many thanks for the info and offer of assistance, standby old son, you may be a saviour on this one.

Will post again later ....

:clap:

Well, sad news but Mike at Horizon has confirmed that the fan is electrically dead !

He's been ever so good and understanding, but did also confirm that front end clam off to replace the fan is a fact.

With the car already with Horizon, I've asked him to do some other tweaks for me, and we have agreed to pursue the Lotus dealer in question.

I've written to them today to see why the vehicle was sold without having properly been PDI'd, and reported back the HGF failure on the vehicle from the prvious owner.

My suspicion is that the fan has not worked for some considerable time.

So ... now we await the reponse from Peter Smith Sports Cars and how they view the issue.

Will they claim responsibility at their cost, or will they insist its warranty and expect me to pay 1/3rd cost of parts and labour ?

More news for those reading this thread as and when ..... ;)

Hi Scott,

I have the numbers from Mike at Horizon, and he was of course very very good.

Not wishing to mess Mike around but he does understand that there is an issue with PSSC's that I need to pursue regarding warranty and a defective vehicle which was clearly not PDI'd in the correct manner.

I would also accept that it may not be the kind of thing you would normally check for on a conventional vehicle, but we are supposed to be getting the best service from a full Lotus dealer, and I paid absolutely top whack for the Orange beasty.

If a favourable no cost (low cost) response is forthcoming from Peter Smith Sports Cars, I will as a result of Mikes honest work and opinion, have the quoted value of work done with Horizon in other areas.

PSSC's have a responsibility here, especially with the vehicle being continously serviced and maintained by them, part of the reason I bought it.

If they are fair, no problem for all concerned, if they are not, they will obviously never see another penny from me, or I suspect many others !

I think it only fair to allow PSSC's to defend their corner, but on the basis that thay steered me away from the GT3 I was going to buy from them, and turned me toward the Elise on the basis of no big bills, I'm clearly more than a little miffed.

• 4 weeks later...

Not smiling yet, but have got the car back from PSSC's, told the fan was seized and a new fan has been fitted. No evidence that the front end has been off the car (clamshell) will have a better look at the weekend.

Anyone who is coming on Sunday to Curborough can have a nosey and give me there views. (See Squint of Sprint thread)

Also looking for S1 owners to have a quick run up the road so to speak for views on the feel of the car - unless its p*ssing down.

:pile:

Missed you all !

:);):clap::clap:

MY FAN WORKS !!

Tested it this sfternoon by disconnecting the brown sensor plu and whey hey - noises from the front end.

Air is being drawn through and is exiting via the near side bonnet vent, not both ?

Is this usual ?

Anyway, PSSC's acknowledged, the points I had raised, and fixed them, so ....

No bill, still not sure if the front clamshell has been off or not as I received no written details of what had been done, why it wasn't done properly in the first place, or any other form of appology.

Now the winters heading our way, don't spose I'll need it now till next summer !

:pile:

Thats Life would have loved this I'm sure

See you Sunday Curborough MLOC'ers :)

Archived