litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Brake Disks

simondann111s

On most (normal) cars, rotating the tyres, side to side - front to rear evens out the tyre wear and used to form part of the routeen maintenance.

Anyone got an opinion on rotating the brake disk on the Elise.

My disks are nearing the limit (24mm) on the front, and whilst I would like to replace all 4 with those sexy ali belled ones, I was thinks or swapping front to rear and spending the money on doing 2 days at Spa next month instead. Pads should be good for one more round of abuse...

Any opinions..

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would - but if your disks are very worn they'll be ridged so you may find your pad isn't contacting the disk evenly. While this isn't necessarily a stopper you'll need to bed them in carefully. You may be better off just getting some cheap ones to see you through - if you're doing 140 up kemmel you don't want to be worring about your brakes ;-) .

I wouldn't, just replace the fronts for now, mutsnuts all the way.

Not anymore, seem to remember a post on Exiges.com saying they had stopped making them.

Found it:

I had a phone call from Stu mid week and he has told me that he will not be doing any more discs - I wont paraphrase him and get it wrong...so the hunt is on again...anyone know of any alternatives?

DON'T rotate discs. The fronts on the rear isn't too big an issue but the opposite way round is a definate NO.

As has been said above the rear pads are smaller and as such there is a big area which isn't worn down due to the pads and as such is usually very rusty. Therefore fitting those on the front will effectvly give you little or no braking.

Archived