litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

"legal" Advice

Gary ZBJ

Guys,

Seen a few people post on here for "legal" advice, so figured it was worth a shot in case other people have been in a similar situation.

I had a garage built early last year, and paid loads of cheques out as expected.

Garage was finished in April, and I got a letter from the council saying all work was inspected and complete etc.

Well, the other day I got an invoice for £276.01 for inspection fees.

A) How can they out of the blue drop an invoice for £276 on me more than a year past the date, B ) Nothing was mentioned in the completion letter following their inspection that I owed them money and C) What is to stop them asking for more money next year?????

I contacted Citizens Advice, but have heard nothing back.

At the moment I am going on the fact that it took them over a year to invoice, so it will probably take them over a year to chase, and as such I am not paying till I get a red letter.

Anyone else come up trumps against the council, or is it just a case of ultimately I will have to pay it and cross my fingers it's all finished????

Cheers

Gary.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good link,

Thanks

it sounds like the charges i paid for "certification of adherement to building regulations " on an extention last year. you need certification for new building as and when you sell the house.

however i was made aware of chaeges up front and paid at 2 seperate times, 1st. after initial inspection of footings/first fix electrics etc.

and the remainer when all works complete covering fire retardent materials, final electrics, plumbing, windows and ventilation /insulation etc.

i'd ask strees as it might be quick aswer that unfortunately you have to pay, but i'd offer to pay in insulments over 121 months for exmple, citing poor communication and explaination etc.

good luck

richbk

Yes, you would need to pay. It is a contractual claim, and as such the Council would have 6 years within which to bring a claim for monies due. The delay would affect entitlement to interest, but not to the recovery of the "debt" itself.

Kick up a fuss and see what they are prepared to do, but don't expect a lot and you won't then be disappointed.

Sorry.

Thanks Simon,

Saved me dropping you an email.

I will just wait for them to chase, however long that takes, and then cough up.

Rich, I just found the whole process (I started by buying extra land, permission for the fence, permission for the dropped kerb and then finally the garage) was a complete farce, nothing was clear and I never knew what was going to happen next. Took nearly 5 years to get it all through the different departments! I guess this is why on Grand Designs they always use a project manager, lol.

Gary.

Archived