litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Serious Vibration Rumbles @ 1800 Rpm

richaney

Anyone suffered from this on an S1 Elise?:

Yesterday, whilst driving through Loughborough (as it happens) my 2000 S1 started suddenly making a god-awful rattle/buzz at 1800 revs only, powering up and coasting down. I already have the recognised 2500 rpm 'tizz' and was due to get the bracket fitted on my next service in October, but this seems to be a much more violent variety.

I thought the exhaust had blown at first, but it is only @ the 1800 rpm point, and echoes all around the cabin. It is hardly present when the engine is cold, increases with temperature, but continues to increase once my usual 84C has been reached - as if a part in the engine compartment is slowly being warmed by indirect proximity to the engine. It cannot be easily heard from outside the cabin, and still only marginally from either above with the boot lid up or from underneath.

Any pointers gratefully received - otherwise its off to the garage for them to spend several days of fruitless (? - and expensive!) searching. At the moment my gear choices are set to stay above 2000 revs whenever possible to avoid exaserbating the situation whilst keeping the car on the road. :)

Cheers for any help.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about that one, thought it could be your exhaust mounting but you say that has been checked, so i am at a loss. Try posting this on SELOC as well, there are loads of people who could hopefully help on there

Could it be the baffle inside the exhaust coming loose?

Or the the little "fill-in" piece between the outer and inner tubes on the tailpipe itself? Mine has come loose and although it doesnt sound like it was as noisy as yours, it was very noticeable.

Maybe it could be part of the downpipe touching the bulkhead... or more likely the heatshield or its bracket touching the bulkhead or the downpipe (mine also broke and it needs doing because lotus kindly put some flammable sound proofing right behind the breakable heatshield!!!).

Sorry i cant point to anything definite but theres a few leads.

Steve :)

I took the engine tray off this weekend (a first for me!) No obvious rattly bits, or loose shielding - so that's good. ;)

But still don't know where the rattle is coming from - how do you check under the floor pans under the seats?

Archived