litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

B*stard Wipers

Zircon450

So er, 5:35pm Monday, pissing down, HARD (the rain not me).

Funny whiring sound, wiper arm takes vertical poition on windscreen and refuses to usher any further moisture from said pissing down environment. :(

You pays Smithys Motors a bundle of cash and a kidney, and the cheapo nasty Spanish marked wiper motor/ mechanism/ idea goes tits up on first real use.

Took the plastic cover off - Great help ! - that will be the motor then.

No mechanism movment, some noise going on in the motor, not fused, wiper arm does move across screen freely and eccentric motion of wiper mechanism cam seems free, but feels disjointed from wiper motor shaft (maybe)

Nowt else obvious.

Anyone else had similar fault?

Please, someone, Scott, Ladders, Beefy and Co, Graeme et al.

Buggered my back up :rolleyes: so I'm strugling a bit at the minute.

Tango190

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, not heard of the motor going before.

Not that it's any help at the moment but get yourself an S2 wiper and blade - It actually cleans rain off your window instead of smearing grease across the outside!

Have you tried leaving the power on and then moving the arm by hand? Might help unjam it?

Cheers Ladders,

Been there, did that, no go, actually - no movement.

It does seem like there is a whole bunch of play in the cam / mechanism underneath the motor itself.

If I could bend over for more than a couple of minutes it might help (No Scott not in that way !) bloody backs killing me.

Looking like a unique problem not seen before.

I'll have a rummage on SELOC just in case.

Still going Sunday Ladders ? Fiona is meeting up at Tamworth Services, just gotta get me Flicken Flacken Mucken Spreader Wurken.

I've had this one, hope its the same quick and easy solution.

If I've go this right, when you switch the wipers on the motor whirrs away but the arm does not move across the screen. Correct?

If so, there is a tiny tiny nut on the back of the motor that holds all the mechanism together. Mine had simply come loose. Tightened it back up and with a drop of nut luck, hey presto I could see again!

It's a b*gger to get a socket set to - I had to go and buy one of those tiny ratchet sets from Halfrauds to get it done.

Good luck...

Worth checking, otherwise sorry - haven't got any other ideas of what it may be.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve G's not far off.

Same symptoms, except I've got hands like shovels and can't get a finger anywhere near, no way on earth can I get a socket onto this.

Steve what size is the nut ?

See you all Sunday - Rain Permitting.

:tdown:

CRACKED IT

Tools required: :moon:

The nut on the wiper motor requires a 10mm 1/4" drive socket on a small ratchet.

Philips screwdriver.

13mm Ring spanner for wiper arm removal (if needed)

1) Remove the two screws holding the plastic motor cover in place, then ease away the cover.

2) Set the motor to its park position with ignition on, and wiper stalk to ON position, then turn wiper stalk to off poition. The motor should now be in the park position.

3) Pull off the power plug to the motor, and ease loom away for more space.

4) Remove wiper arm from wiper splined spindle.

5) If you are right handed, work from the drivers side of the vehicle.

Before you tighten up the loose nut on the motor spindle, you must set the linkage to its maximum length, and the motor must be in its park position. :gay:

6) Move the linkage mechanism so the block of alloy that connects to the motor spindle has the radiused end (longest) pointing away from the round cam section of the motor. [The long arm of the linkage will be parallel with the motor, and you will see the linkage pin on the allow block when correct alignment is achieved.]

I assumed the motor shaft and alloy block have a tapered (at best!) fit and rely on correct torque down to hold. So no hammers or the like ... ;)

7) Whilst trying to keep the linkage in position, tighten the motor shaft 10mm nut enough to hold the linkage in the correct position.

8) Once reasonably tight, you will notice the whole mechanism begins to move and turns the motor round. This takes the linkage to position where it cannot turn anymore and you can nip it up very tightly. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

9) Remove all tools from work area, and reconnect the power plug to the motor.

10) Turn on ignition, and test the wiper motor mechanism for clearance and proper action. Once happy :D , turn of the wipers and let the motor settle to its park position.

11) Refit the wiper arm with the blade at rest on the passenger side about 2cms up from the windscreen lower corner. Tighten the wiper arm fixing bolt with the 13mm spanner and refit the plastic wiper motor cover.

12) Pour some water over the windscreen.

13) Turn on ignition, do an intermeittent wipe first. This will only wipe once. If you have misaligned or got something else wrong, the damage possibility is of course limited.

14) pour some more water over the windscreen if 13) above was OK. Then use the wash wipe stalk setting to test further.

15) Finally, pour some more water over the windscreen, and test on single and double speed wipe.

Woop de doo - sorted !!!

;)

Naturally, if you knacker your car using this technique, I will deny all knowledge of this post, my name - children, wife etc etc etc. :fear:

:fu:

Archived