litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Engine Not Running So Well

MikePMC

Hmm.. the right hand pipe is about a couple of inches long and goes into a junction with two others, one of which drops into the airbox and the other off somewhere between the engine and cabin....

As for the left one, I can't track it.. it heads off under the air intake and past where I can stretch my hand to .. cant see in through the side vents either.. reckon you might have to get under with the tray off the see where it goes.

probably not much help, but this is best I could get of it:

1002833iu8.th.jpg

Changed the variable valve duration sensor by the dipstick on the head today along with adding 0.2 litres of oil (to take it to very maximum) and changed the sparkplugs (as the auto electrician did not turn up!!) and the problem has now gone! Gave it a proper blast around and it is performing just as it did before the piston cracked. Not sure which one fixed it, but needless to say I'm so glad!!!!

Unfortunatly, the track day at Donington we were hoping to go on has fully booked up now! I've booked Monday 20th August instead. It's an evening session, 5pm til 9pm. Is anyone else booked up for that session on here.

Also, I'm still hoping to find out where the second vacuum tube needs to be put? Anyone able to check where theirs goes?

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear you appear to have it sorted!

I may just be confusing things here, but in regards to the pipe that goes to wheel arch that Fizz mentions. Well on my k-series car (now honda'd and pipe still used) The air intake is attached to a plastic 'cup' which bolts right behind the side fins on the passenger side. I noticed this also has about a 1inch diameter rubber pipe also attached to it although I've never followed where it goes to on the engine.

I know where it goes on my car, nowhere! :blush: We've had the rear clam off to fit the engine, as well as the undertray. Just need to know where it goes (or should go!!).

Taking the engine out has left it homeless but i'm beginnig to think it just takes in air to allow pressure to the MAP sensor to be measuered correctly. I've been out in the car tonight, roof off and it's performed like a dream! Looks like the changes made today are so far...... sucessful. Just hoping that the issue was not with the spark plugs being damaged. If that was the case, then the problem was due to the car running rich/lean and the rev limit was nothing more than a result of another issue. I'll keep this discussion up to date with it though as it may help someone else in the future.

God it's so good to blast the car to it's full potential again. It's pretty hard driving around with all that cornering ability, and having to change gear at 6200 rpm, just as it's about to fly!

Going back to the "elusive" home for the vacuum tube, its only 25cm(ish) long from the "MAP" sensor so if anyone can trace where it goes, then please let me know.

Many thanks,

Mike

Archived