litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Engine Not Running So Well

MikePMC

I'm having trouble with an Elise 111R that has had a new engine fitted.

The old engine was removed due to a cracked piston. It was going to be cheaper to fit a whole new engine so we did that.

Problem is, since having the engine fitted, there have been teething problems which I put down to the wiring/sensors.

The engine starts and idles fine (perhaps overrun can be a little jerky, but probably needs the throttle pot re-setting - any ideas with this too?). When driving, the car cuts out as you'd expect at the 5.5K until warmed up. When it has reached full temp, the car will perform as it should, but I feel like there might be a little hesitation when the higher lift lobes kick in at 6200rpm to the red line (you feel this better in 3rd or above). After running at full temp for about 5 mins, the rev limit will drop to 6200rpm. I'm sure it's no coincidence that this is when the higher lift cam lobes kick in. Let it cool down and you can go through the same process. It did not start to do this when I first put the engine in, took about a week to start although the hesitation in the second cam lobes might have been there.

It would be good to know if anyone has experienced this?

It would also help if anyone has a wiring diagram for the S2 111R? I have 2 K series cars that I rarely need technical help with, but this damn Toyota engine seems to have no technical info on the net at all!

There is a plug on the loom which seems to have no home to connect to too. Could be related. It's a 4 wire connector, but only 1 wire connected which is red/grey. It's located near the alternator and the knock sensor plugs on the loom. Also, on top of the airbox there is what appears to be the map sensor?? It has 2 vacuum tubes coming from it. Can anyone tell me how theirs is connected as I have one going to the plenium but the other seems to have no home?

Many thanks,

Mike

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply. I came from the SELOC site to this one. Noticed they didn't have a "Midlands" section. :)

Can't even get a wiring diagram from the Toyota sites. :(

Thanks,

Mike

Are there any 111R owners out there in the Bingham/Nottingham area who could let me look at their engine bay to assess where the "homeless" items might go. It might solve or at least narrow down the problem?

Thanks,

Mike

It's a Nov 2004 model. I'm pretty sure the engine spec was the same through out the 111R production, unlike the K Series. Even if they do differ a little, it may still help.

many thanks,

Mike

Hi i've got an s2 exige which is the same engine.

I've had the rev limiter cut in a couple of times at about 6 k after being warm.

1. If the oil level is low it won't let you on high cams

2. when its just got up to temperature and you then go full throttle then a couple of times my temperature has dropped back down again to below the point that it allows high cams. After another minute or so of driving its fine.

Don't know if this picture helps (only one i've got on my computer of the engine bay) just about shows some pipes / wires above the airbox.

IMG_2011.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

With regard to the first part of your post, I was also thinking oil today too. The problem with that thoery is, I can hear the second cam lobes coming into play. There is definately a change in the induction noise before it cuts out. Anyone with a VVTLi engine knows when it kicks in! :crybaby: It really feels like fuelling though?? Been on the phone to Peter Smiths and they came up with a few things to try. Got an auto electrician having a look tomorrow to see if the ECU has any error codes in.

With regards to the homeless plug, Peter Smith suggested it might be aircon. I don't have aircon on the car so they say it might be homeless due to that. Can anyone confirm if the aircon wiring is Red/Grey?

With regards to the second part of your post. That picture is great. They are the tubes I am asking about. It look like a map sensor, two tubes coming from the top. I just wanted to confirm The one nearest the engine heads to a splitter. One of them goes to a red pipe which is located onto the plenium under the throttle valve. The other tube from the splitter gies under the airbox and connected to the airbox. The second tube from the "MAP sensor", if it is a map sensor, does not go anywhere on my car and just takes in air. I've tried blocking it to see if it makes any difference to the problems, but there is no change.

Can you or anyone confirm that the first pipe (nearest engine) should go to the plenium (manifold) and to the airbox and also confirm where the second pipe should go if indeed it does have a home??

Also, the guy from France emailed back. It turnes out the problem was with his hydraulic actuator on the side of the head that feeds oil to activate the second cam lobes. I have swapped the housing, sensors and checked the wiring on this and the problem is not here, sadly! :bangin:

Many thanks,

Mike

1002829jl1.th.jpg

This any closer?. PM me an email and I can send you a few more.. I have a 111R same year too, so if you want more of something particular its no problem.

Not too close to you unfortunately.. Solihull/Birmingham here

Thanks for that picture. The two tubes shownin the picture are in question here.

The ones that comes from the item marked "Toyota", I'm calling it the MAP sensor (I could be wrong though). The one that comes from the MAP sensor shown on the right in the photo, I have it going to the Plenium (manifold air chamber) and the bottom of the airbox. Can you confirm this is the case on your car?

The one on the left in the photo which rises higher than the other, this has no "home" on my car. Can you also confirm where this goes on your car? I'm not convinced it should not be attached to anything, but I cannot find anywhere to fit it. Unfortunatly, I did not dismantle the car to fit the new engine so I connot confirm where it should go. I'm doubtful if it's causing the problem of 6200rpm cutout, but it cannot help.

I've got an auto electrician checking it tomorrow, hopefully there will be some error codes to narrow the issue.

many thanks,

Mike

If you have a problem with the ecu send me a pm, as i have a spare (kept the old one when i upgraded to the lotus sport one). I'll sell it for less than a new one will cost.

Although it might be a good excuse to the get the much better lotus sport ecu.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I may have to try it if I get nowhere today. I note you are in Derby so it's not far to go!

Can anyone confirm where that second air pipe goes to? I've got the auto elec guy here in about an hour and I'd like that resolved beforehand so it does not cause issues finding the rev limit issue??

Thanks,

Mike

Just want to thank everyone for their help so far. I've had great responses from people on here. I've posted on 2 other forums regarding my problems, and got no response from one and only one post from another saying it looks like a safety feature. I'm not trying to slate those forums, but it does show that on here, there is obviously a good set of people who are willing to go out of their way to help. I used to run a forum and jointly run a car club of about 500 members and I know how hard it can be moderating and organising so you have my respect.

Anyway..........

Changed the variable valve duration sensor by the dipstick on the head today along with adding 0.2 litres of oil (to take it to very maximum) and changed the sparkplugs (as the auto electrician did not turn up!!) and the problem has now gone! Gave it a proper blast around and it is performing just as it did before the piston cracked. Not sure which one fixed it, but needless to say I'm so glad!!!!

Unfortunatly, the track day at Donington we were hoping to go on has fully booked up now! I've booked Monday 20th August instead. It's an evening session, 5pm til 9pm. Is anyone else booked up for that session on here.

Also, I'm still hoping to find out where the second vacuum tube needs to be put? Anyone able to check where theirs goes?

Thanks,

Mike

Archived