litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Harlequin Motors

Rob2

I have some minor front clam damage I need to get sorted.

Does anyone have any experience of 'Harlequin Motors' body shop in Leicester?

They were recommended by CD Bramall/Storm for Lotus approved repairs but I'd like to be reassured by someone with actual experience.

Or, are there any other good bodyshops around the area?

Cheers,

Rob

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it an insurance job?

I have heard them mentioned before, there is alos a good place in brum, near Nick Whale.

However most non insurance jobs seem to have ended up at Hallcraft in Cradley Heath... seem considerably cheaper!

Harlequins did an excellent job on my elise!

Super friendly service.

They have also repaired several of my cars from work and if i had any more accidents id go there again!!

Although not the cheapest

Pants

Rob, apart from telling four times in a row that the car would be ready in a couple of days, giving it me back with a non working speedo and fluffing up the tracker (not there fault I suppose, they get an automotive electrician in for that) it was ok!

The quality of the work done seems good. They replaced my rear clam, offside rear suspension, offside rear wheel and rear subframe.

When I spoke to the workshop guys they were fine and helpfull. My only gripe really is I feel that as it's an insurance job and they're garanteed there money they were'nt bothered with how I was treated. ie telling me it would be ready in a couple of days, four times. Ending up with me ringing up this Tue, when yet again it was meant to be ready, the receptionist telling me it wasnt ready as the electrician needed a wireing diagram for the tracker, me asking when it would be ready now? and her telling me "don't know"!

Then when I rang today to tell her the speedo didn't work she said " are you sure it worked when you brought it in"!

There were a few S2's in there that Storm had sent when I was there.

I personnaly use HallCraft, they are on the same estate as Horizon. I know it's birmingham but they are very good and are also friendly with Mike at Horizon so if anything technical arises they will often pop around and ask for advice/assistance.

Unless it's a big jib they can probably do it for not much more than your insurance excess, which saves you all sorts of probvlems come renewal time.

Speak to Nick Hall or James Hopcraft (hence Hall Craft)

tel: 01384 651122

Try C J Tallis in Hinckley (01455 890500) if you want good value. Took mine (also "minor front clam damage") to several places and they were the most competitive by about 20% over the next one. This was important as I'd no plans to go through insurance.

Clive does quite a lot of Motorsport repairs and so knows his way around GRP. Apart from the value thing, the results were fantastic.

Graeme

I used CCCC as well and they did a great job, faster than expected and kept me well informed right through, but as it was insurance I wasn't that arsed about the costs - have seen Graeme's (G13CCK) since the repair was done and it's excellent so if cheaper then that one looks a good move to me.

Kristian :)

I had mine repaired by a chap who works on his own in Rugby, he did an excellent job for half the price i was quoted anywhere else. He is an old boy who used to work for Reliant, so he is GRP experienced. With mine it took him longer than expected (6 days in total) but the quality of the work is superb.

If it isn't an insurance job and you havn't had it done yet, for price and quality i cannot reccomend this chap enough.

Thanks Fellas, excellent advice.

Amazing difference in experiences from same places.

Have just been without the car for 7 (seven!) weeks down at City Centre, although this was mainly down to parts unavailability, and have totally lost confidence in them (never called back when they said they would, several false completion dates quoted etc). It was an insurance job and, like ladders, felt they couldn't really be arsed as they were getting paid (overpaid IMO) whatever.

Clam job is a continuation of the same claim (long story) so was after someone good, reliable, quick and local (brum's a bit far from me).

Like the sound of CJ Tallis in Hinckley, only 15mins away. Will give them a ring.

Thanks again,

Rob

7 Weeks!

and I though the five weeks mine was in was a long time!

I have heard good things about City Centre as well!

I was sorting out getting mine done at Sinclaires origonally, when I went to the garage it had been towed to it had been took without my consent to Harlequins. Still waiting for my stickers for the back and my speedo to be repaired! Plus they did a crap job of cleaning it!

Archived