litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise Exhaust/ Tvr Sound..?

Sol

As some of you may know, Im in the market for a louder s/s exhaust. Got the Magnex which is very refined, but too quiet for my liking.

Doing some research and called up Eliseparts about costs and DB levels(which is a limitation due to the prospect of tracking at Bedford which is the strictest circuit)

Apparently about 3 weeks ago, they started shipping a new exhaust which "sounds more like a TVR" - "Low and burbly". The complaint about the previous Eliseparts was that it was LOUD and quite tinny. The new one is apparently 3-4db quieter with completely different characteristics. Not sure how it compares to a Janspeed but would be very interested..

The price is the same(no fitting kit included though) and its not on the website yet..

Ive emailed them to see if I can get a soundfile or they said they might know someone down my way with it fitted that I could possibly listen to. Watch this space, its enough for me to hold off on the Janspeed. If I get anything from them , I will post it.

So, any chance anyone on here has the new one? Wuddie, have you found one yet?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is more like that kind of noise... i didn't want a harsh tinny noise, the RS one is much deeper, but sounds :)

Sound clips on my website: http://www.smckenzie.info

EDIT: Inside Lotus -> Video and also a short clip inside the 1st Lotus section - thats a good place to compare the Janspeed ones too (Spike's car has the "normal" one, Mark's has the Supersports)

Thanks Scott, it is interesting. I always thought the Janspeed was low and rumbly, but the RS Extreme seems even more so. I cant seem to see it on the Race Speed site. Whether they dont do it any more after their "issues" Im not sure, but the only one they have apart from the Janspeed is a very odd thing. Clicky(Odd Exhaust)

BTW, whats the difference betwwen the "normal" Janspeed and the "Supersports"?

Anyhoo, got a response from Geary at Eliseparts:

-----------

Yes you are right on all counts ours did "used" to be quite loud so we toned

it down, we did a back to back test with a Janspeed for comparison on our

new exhaust and on a standard car with standard everything it was 2dB lower

than the Janspeed at 3500 RPM (84dB at 1 metre 45 degrees).

It's superbly made and a few kilos lighter than the Janspeed too as well as

being FULL stainless steel (not just the box section).

In my unbiased opinion ;-) it's the best out there.

We offer a money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied :-)

--------------

I think I need to make sure Im at the next run/meet and properly listen to the options. Its gonna be an expensive month...

Still, Ill see if Geary can send me a sound file - the lady there said someone had one that they might be able to send.

Watch this space > | |

I think mine did disappear from the RS website. The odd exhaust is rather famous as a side exit one, and is race spec only.

It might be worth emailing Owen and asking him... personally i much prefer the sound my car makes to the Janspeed exhausts, Fiona summed it up on Sunday "there is quality and there is noise, that was just noise"

:tup:

Scott, are you going to Brunty? Seeing as its only a couple of weeks away I might have to properly listen to cars and make a decision. Did email RaceSpeed about the rs extreme.

Still not sure what the difference between the "normal" and "super sports" are. Anyone here advise?

Just got a wav file of the exhaust from Geary and it does sound VERY nice! Difficult to make a comparison because of the way the different recordings have been done(somparing to the "exhaust" thread.

How can I upload it?(~90k) This exercise might be more expensive than I hoped! Think I might join Wuddie for a second job at Maccy D's..

erm...'Have a nice day, y'all' :tup:

I will be at Brunty yes....

Email me the file of the exhaust and i'll host it and get it up here. Though if its only 90k, if you use "Add Reply" you should be able to attach it to your message.

Archived