litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Just Failed Mot!

Steve P

My car just failed it's MOT because the rear fog light didn't work. They offered to put a new bulb in there and then, but couldn't get to it because those wonderful screws that hold the rear mesh in place are rusty as hell and won't come out - they just sit there turning. How the hell am I going to get them out and then replace them?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

junior hacksaw to cut the head off, and then push the screw up into the bodywork (it will fall out, don't worry. Then replace with plastic rawl plug.

All sounds a bit drastic... hope I'm responding in time!

Find a fine flat blade screwdriver and carefully, don't want to damage bodywork, and insert between the screw head and the retaining flange of the grill. Put a little bit of prising pressure to the head of the screw and turn, as normal, with a screwdriver the rouge screw. It should start to withdraw.

Once youv'e got it moving, the blade of the flat screwdriver should pick up on the thread of the screw and it'll unscrew off the blade.

They only thread into a plastic body panel plug that can be pulled out once the screw is out. The whole fastening assembly (screw and plug) can then be replaced.

If the screw won't wind out. last resort is to put more prising force on the flat blade screw driver such that a pair of long nose pliers can get a grip of the screwhead.. then pull!

No need for hack saws!

Hope that makes sence ;)

Steve

Stevemcc

I think the Hacksaw is referring to the Rear grills that are secured by metal screws and Rubber Rawl Nut fixings.

the only 2 ways are to hacksaw the head off, or pull thru the body.

You are however right in your instructions if it was for the front grill fixings!

I had a look at my rear grills this morning to remind me. I fetched them out a little while back to clean the lamps. The fasteners on my motor were same for front and back grills.

Maybe Lotus changed at some point?

Steve

I think I tried all of the above with no luck. Managed to scratch the paintwork of course. You know it's going to happen, but for some reason it always seems like a good idea to try just a little harder....... :tup: It wasn't deep so should be able to smooth it out.

Had the undertray off at one point trying to grip the plug/whatever it is while turning the screws. No doing.

Car is off to Horizon Thursday for service so I'll let them have a look at it, though I can't see what they can do, unless there's a special tool for the job ;) Otherwise the hacksaw will be coming out, and I'll be buying some new grills.

How did everyone re-fasten their grills? Do new ones come with some decent nuts and bolts?

Archived