litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Brakes

simondann111s

I'm doing two track days at Dijon & Magny Cours in a couple of weeks time.

Having been a little dissapointed with the feel of the standard brakes, I thought I'd have them upgraded.

I'm having stainless Goodridge hoses fitted, new fluid (5.1), but what pads?

I've heard good and bad of the EBC greens and only good about the Pagids.

What would you recomend? are the Pagids worth all that money?

You advice please, I'm dropping the car off this afternoon..

Many thanks

Simon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon, might be a bit late now, but I have EBC greenstuff which are fine for the road. On the 1st Lotus day, it was the first time I realised what those graphs of heat and efficiency meant. EBC Greens will not really be much good for a track day because the amount of braking you will be doing will mean the greens will not be operating in their optimum temp range and be pretty crud after not very long.

Ive *heard* very good things about Pagids, but have no experience of...hope that helps.

I have Pagid RS14's on my car with Gearys Ali bell discs on the front and it stops lovely. Cant comment on EBC greens as I havnt tried them but Pagids are very good.

Last time I was on a 1stLotus day I took out the other Elise driver in my car and the thing he said he noticed wasnt that mine had more power but that I could brake much harder and later for the corners.

The RS14's are fine for road use as well, after the first use of the brakes you will have plenty of stopping power.

Only downside to them is they are expensive! and wear the discs a bit quicker but they do seem to be lasting for ages.

If I had to change my pads I'd buy the same again. They are generally noted to be the best pads but costly. I'd rather pay extra if its going to stop me quicker, not something I want to penny pinch on :kicking:

Don't forget that EBC do different grades for variyng conditions.

Greenstuff is ideal for fast road.

But on track days put in some red stuff or even yellow ?

If you do a track day some have said it is worth puting in pads for the day and take a spare set and a few tools for getting you home if you wear them out.

I use Greenstuffs and have just put the latest version on which seem fine. I know of a few people who use them on track and it suits their style, and as such have no problems with fade.

I think at the end of the day it is down to the "user". I have a relaxed, steady style (i.e. smoother ... braking before corner, accelerating out) rather than a "slam on the anchors at the last minute" style. The former suits the greenstuff, whereas the latter doesn't.

Just got the car back.

RS14s fitted all round with goodridge stainless hoses. Although I've not yet had the chance to give them a realy good beasting yet, but my first impressions are good. MUCH more pedal feel and initial bite.

Given me the confidance for prolonged track use at Dijon & Magny Cours. I'll let you know how they stand up..

Simon

Archived