litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Orange Coolant?

Sol

Just wondered if anyone knows where I can get an orange coolant to top up levels? All I know from the previous owner is that its a 4/5yr jobbie and its orange. Seems green and red are quite easy to find, but no one seems to know about orange.

Also, does it need to be OAT? Can you mix colours? :) My regular mechanic said he hadnt heard of orange coolant and said that "Comma Red" would do the trick. Checked the bottle and no mention of OAT(as it reads on the coolant tank) and the colour is definitely different. Common sense told me not to put it in, but I might be being too anal. Can anyone help?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sol - doesn't help you but where've you seen the green gunge? I think I need some of that, although now that I think of it it might be orange??? Havoline XLC or something?

Kristian :)

I saw the green gunge in Black Swans baby when it was in Tollgate with HGF! Had a look in Texaco for Havoline XLC, but I all I found was "Havoline"(no mention of XLC) and no mention of this OAT business. Not sure the OAT thing is relevant as I read that on the tank itself.

The handbook for mine says that you have to use the OAT stuff or in case of desperation (i.e. not having bought that havoline crap for two years), use water. Would feel a bit uncomfortable using something other than water or what was recommended...

Was hoping you'd say Halfords had a shit load of the stuff or something.

OK, just checked the handbook and OAT = organic acid technology = green/orange shit. Apparently it has rust inhibitors and anti freeze in it, a bit like Austrian wine.

I dont think Halfords do it, certainly not the Austrian wine(if its anything like Austrian food, Ill Have a carafe of Comma Red thank you very much)

All it does is keep it cool. Think were being a bit anal about trivial stuff here. Stick some coolant in whatever it is

I did in my last one with no trouble over 10k miles.

Honestly think its one of those non-issues. Its like the endless conversation about oil types - its a k series ! like in a metro - just shove some oil in and keep it lubricated dude :)

same as in my s2k - got fed up with differing info. in the archives and when my synth oil was low just topped it up with synth oil left over from my 111s -differnt viscosity but wtf - its needles in haystacks. very little difference youll notice IMHO

OK - but if I get HGF it's specifically your fault now Jon, so long as we're clear... :)

Just thinking about sorting if before going to Le Mans though as it's low by the looks of it. Seems to be permanently low though, whether I refill it or not.

Well, I managed to trawl through all the receipts kept from previous owners(thank god the previous owners were anal too :) ) and found out that it is Havoline XLC! Also, the sticker about the OAT stuff was bought at the same time(assumed all Elises had them from day 1)

Much as I loathe B+C from the indignant attitudes that I have come across when dealing with them, might have to give them a call..

Well, I found it! :)

I think I read on Seloc somewhere that theyre available exclusively at Texaco garages.(Havoline eXtended Life Coolant)

For some bedtime reading check This Linky..

Sol

From the time of your posts it kind of looks like you were up all night trying to sort this out. Slightly concerned now...

Will try Texaco and a Rover garage then.

Kristian :wedgie:

For a tidy sum our local shop still has those blue slush puppy things I could get for you if you want - don't know how much good it would do the engine though. :wedgie:

Archived