litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Induction Kits

Steve G

Kinda thinking an induction kit might be next on the shopping list. I know that most (if not all) would recommend the Hurricane kit, but as I'm looking for a house at the same time I could do with spending a few less notes than that. What do the people who have K&N / Pipercross etc. think of theirs.

I assume the only difference between these brands and the hurricane is that the Hurricane has a cover over the filter to prevent it from sucking too much warm air from the engine bay???

Not really after big performance gains (although that would be nice :drive: ), just thought it was about time I got one. I already have the EliseParts sports silencer and their CRP. Will changing the induction set up alter the noise tone and level much?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't hear the induction kit over the exhaust... i thought my induction kit was loud until i fitted the zorst.

I think many folk rate the K&N on noise, but not much else.. i'm sure it could be modded to suck cold air in though.

I bought a 2nd hand Hurricane for £80... so keep your eyes peeled. Well worth it, improved throttle response, especially at the top end.

I think some folk have the Pipercross one that is going on eBay... seemed favourable.

I've just fitted a Hurricane to mine yesterday (already had sports zorst and CRP). Only took half an hour. I can definitely notice a raspier sound above 3000 revs, on top of the already sporty exhaust tone. Looks quality as well, shame they don't do yellow tho.

£160 money well spent if you ask me. Hurricane or ITG are the ones to go for, I wouldn't waste my money on a K&N - leave that to the Nova boys :drive:

Cheers,

Bri

Another vote for hurricane - my exhaust and sports cat are fairly loud but you can definitely hear the hurricane over them when accelerating - a different type of noise, and a good one IMHO. Does help with the breathing since it's cold air, not hot air from the engine bay.

Kristian :drive:

Steve, either a K&N or PiperX vector cone will do, K&N should be cheaper. The noise they make is much better than a Hurricane, I've had both. Whilst they will suck in warm air, you could fit a length of tubing from the side vent and point it at the cone. You wouldn't notice that much difference in performance, you are probably already done on torque with the crp fitted. Give it a try, you can always sell it on if you don't like it.

I thought the test shows that a CRP actually increased Torque in the std car.. it was the 111S that it crippled it on??

Must go and listen to my Hurricane now... i could hear it, then got the zorst and no longer could. Maybe its just less noticeable!

I can defo hear mine as well - the exhaust I am told is quite noisy outside the car but not that noisy in it - you can hear the hurricane doing the WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH thing over your left shoulder when accelerating, and I quite like it. No experience of piper X or whatever though.

Actually you've got a point there since there's quite a lot of sound deadening on the S2 111s, which probably explains the difference. Can hear the hurricane well since it's obviously quite near the vents on the engine cover.

They are rated fairly highly but their induction kits suck warm air in from around the engine, hence make a nice noise, but don't really offer any performance. The Hurricane and ITG ones we talk of have a pipe that runs to the side vent on the car, thus forcing cold air in, which is denser, which gives a slight performance increase.

Archived