litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advise Needed Please

RICHARD

Left my car parked at the weekend and someone has hit the wheel arch at the back and taken a chunk out of the fibre-glass. Does anybody know a good place in the Derby area where I can take it for repair and roughly how much I should expect to pay.

Thanks

Richard

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine has a garage and claims to know a good fiber-glasser. If you take some photos i'll see if i can get a round about quote for you.

He's in Chesterfield.

According to their website Harlequin are Lotus approved. Think they may well do the work for CD Bramell - I don't have any personal experience though,

Rich

http://www.harlequinmotors.co.uk/

Telephone

0116 27 67 900

FAX

0116 24 61 412

Postal address

Unit 12, Lunsford Road, Leicester LE5 0HJ

I had a similar thing last week when visiting Beck at work. But fortunately the guys where outside and saw the women do it. She tried to drive off but striaght into traffic, so I sprinted down the road. Funnily she pulled over as soon as she saw me running behind her. Only a minor crack in the clam but as she was trying to do a runner I'm going to make sure she pays!!

Peter

Honestly, I'd like to think if I bust someone's pride and joy I'd have the courage to own up.

Once saw a guy rip a wing off a lovely black GTV in Sheffield's park and ride with some suspect parking manouvre and drive off. I left his number plate on the GTV's windscreen and notified the CCTV guy so I hope they managed to claim off him.

Fiona

Thanks everyone for your help and advise. I've decided to take it to Horizon for the repair. Seen alot of good reports about them on here and taking it there will mean that i'll know whereabouts it is for when my next service is due.

Thanks again

Rich.

Got a quote yesterday for £440 for the guys that do repairs for Nick Whales repairs.

It only cracked about 1 inch put as she would have done a runner I'm making her pay to get it repaired.

Peter

• 5 months later...

Richard, KiwiPete, how did you get on with your repairs? Got back to my car at weekend to find someone had hit the rear wheel arch - split the fibreglass about an inch and crazed the surrounding body work.

How happy were you with your repairs, and how much am I looking to pay or claim on my insurance? Of course the guilty party had already legged it :(

Steve

Steve

Worth trying C J Tallis, Nutts Lane Industrial Estate, Hinckley. LE10 3EJ. Tel 01455 890500. Proprietor Clive Tallis. While doing the normal run of the mill prangs they do a lot of motorsport & fibreglass work. When I went in they had a TVR, E type & D type replica there. VERY REASONABLY PRICED! Recommended by Lou at Tollgate, but I checked in a couple of other places to find them 25-50% more.

Basic get-out-of-bed price for any bodywork on a glassfibre car is about £250 + VAT covering paint as well as g/f. More if dismantling (e.g. clam off/on) & reassembly is involved. If you've got an excess on your policy, it's scarcely worth making a claim, as they'll load your policy for the next 5 years.

Conversely, my car is in City Centre Car Care in Birmingham at the moment. Fine reputation, do all Nick Whale's work, but best if insurance is paying as they are with mine. Although they've got the paint, the car and the opportunity, they quoted me £680 for doing a stonechip respray on the front & sills (it's in for rear end work).

Graeme

Maybe not, i had the damage in the (hopefully) attached pic and two 1 inch long cracks on the NSF wheel arch repaired on my car for £350.

It was done buy a chap who was recommended to me who is based in Rugby, used to work for reliant so knows his GRP, he also does a lot of classic car restorations too. He did a top job on my car. Let me know if you want his details.

post-2-1099062295.jpg

Archived