litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Choices?

Zebedee79

So here's the problem - I love my S1 which I've had for two years but it's got to stage where I'm thinking about modding - nitrons, DVA etc.

Do I go over to the dark side and buy a S2 111R? :drive:

Appreciate its a better car in some respects and would like the engine and gearbox, but aesthetics wise prefers the lines of the classic S1 and stripped out nature...

Honda conversion not really an option as there is no way i could sell such mod to SO :angry:

Any S1 - S2 111R owners persuade me?

John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, seems like alot of £££s for the extra power etc. Like everything I guess it's down to the individual.

I totally agree re the lines and stripped out S1.

I simply can't afford a 111r so I don't even think about it. I could just about stretch to a Honda conv though. V tempting but I think it's driver training, Nitrons, uprated toe links, stickies, brakes and loads more track days for me.

About £1600 can be had off a 111R list at the moment.

A honda mod to an S1 will not do much for the residual value (ie won't add anywhere near the £10k-odd it costs), while the 111R residuals should be pretty good (for a NEW car).

Just an opposing view.

Simple really, if you want a new Elise, 111R is the only one to have. If you want to have an S1 for the looks, but want to upgrade, I would suggest you sell your S1 and buy an S1 Sport 160. I have seen two fantastic examples for sale recently on Pistonheads. A good S160 will be worth more than a modded S1. You can always make the S160 better, but it gives you a better basis for a cracking Elise.

Or as another thought, chop the S1 in against an S2 135R, will also hold it's value well, and gives you a good starting point for a quick Elise.

Many thanks for all comments some of the thoughts above echo my own sentiments.

Concerned about residuals if mod with Honda, if I take this route I must be looking to keep car for the long-term for it to be viable... Seem to be a few TT cars that don't shift on the used market.

Also, interestingly if I do part-ex Dealer wants me to put original S111s wheels (which I still have) back on vehicle rather than the Victories on at the mo - seems they do want original cars.

Re. 135r was very interested in Saffron Yellow one at NW - having looked at it several times, but its' just been sold. :angry:

S160 definately an option.

Maxf - do you think £1600 discount is really achievable at mo??

In some respects trying to look at my Lotus ownership from a vaguely sensible financial viewpoint for once - present Elise 2000 W and below 30,000 miles so likely to get the most if I sell sell or part-ex now... :drive:

Definitely think you can get that kind of money off.

There is a website which you can buy cars through and it quotes this discount on list for a UK car - can't find it at the moment, but it was on seloc too. Seemed legit to me (and I'm normally a disbeliever).

I very much doubt you would get a £1600 discount off a new 111R at a dealer, even with cash. You might pick up a demo for that. They are not having problems selling 111R's, at least not at the dealer I spoke to.

The companys that offer new cars at discounts can't always get the spec you want, they also carry a risk in my experience, unless they are a well known establishment like Jamjar etc.

Put your car back to standard, sell the extra bits, wheels etc, buy a sport 160 like this :-

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=21803&s=12 you should be able to haggle on that price!

I agree with Simon - S1 S160 most likely to hold value and give you a noticeable upgrade over a standard S1. If not, S1 135 or S2 135r would both make sense.

S2 111r residuals only OK until they bring out a new or better or otherwise different model.

Kristian :P

Kris H - Agree, one of the things that's concerns me about buying a new 111r (I always try and buy s/h usually and let someone else take the initial hit :P ) is that you know in a few months time Lotus will release yet another Ltd. edition, 111r sport with LSS, OZ etc. or the supercharged Toyota engine - and residuals will be all over the place...

John

Further to the above sometimes wonder what Lotus UK are on?

Looking into 111r..

Not only does the US website have the excellent car configurator where you can actually see the option and various colours on the car.

But Touring Pack only costs $1350.00, loads less than in UK.. £1795.00

US also gets sports pack.

Just fed up with getting shafted by manufacturers - red wine rant over :P

John

reckon an S2 135r would be a good buy!

Especially one that has already had HGF and been repaired under warranty

Yup. 22k/23k should get you a virtually brand new one. one for sale on seloc now.

The safron 135r looks the elephants gonads in my opinion and if it was my money would try and get one of these and try and up it to 160/70 brake with a cr box.

the 135r is great i suspect but im sure a sorted 135r would be just as good if not better. for 3/4 k less and even more saved on residuals. just IMHO of course.

I personally would go for trhe 111R,I think in the real world on motorways and dual carriageways it's great to have the extra power as well as the handling.One thing that nobody seems to consider is the value of a warranty,its a comforting feeling to know that beyond day to day costs and wearble parts everything else is covered.I'd go and see NW's and haggle for a good deal, they have always looked after me even with part ex's involved.I think if I were to buy another Elise or Exige it would be the one I would go for.

Cheers

Steve

:P

Archived