litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Windscreen

Steve P

Hi guys. New to the website and it looks great - loads of info. But i've had a scout round the topics and haven't been able to find anything about windscreens for the Elise. A couple of weeks ago I had to have mine replaced due to a crack on the drivers side. Don't know what caused it - I didn't notice it appear while driving. Got it replaced through my insurance no problem, but I've just gone out to my car and what do you know - I've got another one. This time about twice as long as before. Cleaned the car yesterday afternoon after being out in it - everything was fine, I'm positive. I read somewhere they are as thin as possible to keep the weight down, but I've never heard of owners having trouble with them.

Anyone else had similar problems?

I'm worried it could be a sign of other more serious problems.....

.....or I've got to start looking out for my neighbours fat cat sitting on it

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be that the windscreen wasn't refitted correctly and that the clam is actually putting pressure on to the corner of the windscreen and cracking it.....I would take it back to the people that put it in and demand they replace it again.....if it was autoglass then i think thay havea a year warranty or something similar

Also pay to check the roof beams. If these aren't correctly adjusted it can put pressure on the windscreen.

Are these adjustable, as my drivers side bar (cant rail?) is very hard to get off? If so how?

ta

Ian

Mine cracked when the crash box was shunted back a little after crashing. Nothing actually touched the glass at all but the clam moving backwards even a fraction can effectively squeeze the window - no *incidents* I assume? Window didn't actually crack until an hour or so after the impact with me.

Oh, and welcome by the way. :sleep:

No, no 'incidents', and I'm not 'big boned' either :unsure:

Seems you're spot on about the clam touching the screen. It is touching exactly where the clam touches the screen. I've written more info in the Revenge of the Windscreen topic.

I'll let you know how I get on with Autoglass

Steve

The roof beams can be adjusted by removing or adding shim plates behind the fitting on the roll over bar. (the fitting that the bars clip onto)

If the bars are tight to fit, then this puts stress on the screen.

Peter

Archived