litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

The Black Beasts Last Moments - Pics

christurbo

Well its about time I posted some pics!

You can see on on of the pics how I bend a sign mid air spinning.

Was very sad seeing her being dragged on the tow truck - the window wiper was twitching, like it was waving goodbye to me :)

I have got some great memories of this car - I truly loved it.... It saved my life! :crybaby:

VXCrash1.jpg

VXCrash2.jpg

VXCrash4.jpg

VXCrash6.jpg

VXCrash7.jpg

VXCrash8.jpg

VXCrash9.jpg

VXCrash10.jpg

VXCrash11.jpg

VXCrash12.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happened about 2 months ago.

I was driving down a country road, took the corner, back end kicked out on loose gravel [you know - the type that is left over in the middle and edge of the road by tractors], I tried to catch it but whilst sideways the tyres dug into a dip running horizontal in the road. This managed to lever the car over on its half sticky T1-R's sending her into a roll, it rolled numerous times off the road smashing the back end out, also bending a sign through the windscreen, and eventually landed into a ditch. I was a bit sore and shocked, and had glass and dirt all over me! I had the roof off at the time BTW. There were also puncture marks inches away from my head. I was very lucky on all accounts.

Regarding the car. It was in a sorry state but the camber on all wheels looked OK. The front clam had holes in it etc. The rear lighting loom was ripped out. There was hardly any back left on it. My 2 week old custom exhaust was completely bent. The rear undertray was twisted under the car. But the car looked OK for the extent of the accident.

The amzing thing was that when I pushed the fuel cut off switch in the black beast started up fine with no lights on, and we reversed it onto the truck. But before all this - whilst she was waiting there to go on the truck whilst ignition turned off - the wiper randomly moved - like she was waving goodbye.

I got told by the insurance company that it would cost 12.5k to fix, and that the rear subframe needed replacing. [3k] Im not sure of the details, or the Cat status - I would imagine a C.

Ouch ! Unlucky mate.

After all you've done to it, it's a real shame. I wouldn't try to get it back though - you'll never be 100% happy. Recover what you can from it and put in on something new...

Gutted for you dude but the main thing is that your ok. Real shame to see her in such a state. Never been a great fan of the VX but your one was a real beaut. Oh well as someone mentioned earlier Lotus ownership could be just round the corner!! Just make sure you screw the insurance company for every penny.

you are doing the right thing after such a scare -- having a track day animal, and a normal day to day drive (although I recall you having a CTR which is hardly "normal" but you know what I mean ;0)

Gutted to see these but least you are OK

Chris,

:)

That is tragic to see and I really feel for you mate. You are lucky to have gotten out safely.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, they serve as a stark reminder to the rest of us :crybaby:

Thanks guys! I'm OK.... Ive had a payout and it was a good un! :rolleyes:

As Al says - my interests are in a little track slag now...

.... However I can vouch that it is far, far, far, more expensive than owning a VX or Elise B)

It is Peter - but you can be rest assured that these little Loti tubs are VERY strong.

I rolled it numerous times, even hitting a signpost mid air - with the top off [it was nice and hot out!] and I was OK.

If it was any other tin bucket I would have been in a bad state.

Archived