litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

[Fixed] No Heat In Heater And High Idle Temps Post Prrt + New Rad?

glitch

You shouldn't think about stuff, and then follow to bed ... You think about it all night in your sleep. :(

Anyway I was confused how the water seems to feed backwards and checked your pics again.

Your hand drawn pic shows your prrt how it should be fitted.

But this pic http://www.dykarna.nu/fotoalbum/27072/335522.htmlit's hard to see if it is fitted that way. It should have a T piece between engine outlet and lower coolant pipe that goes to the right, where the other T goes to the prrt?

Ask your guy to check it is as above.

(It looks like your pic has a pipe that goes from right of prrt in an S shape to the lower coolant pipe to the right)

Which is wrong if it does.

And your coolant out let from your engine to the other side of the top of prrt - again that would be wrong.

This is how it should look EliseKit.jpg

A to engine outlet

D to lower coolant Raul on bulk head to feed rad

H to radiator return

F to pipe with bleed on it to oem thermostat/water pump

Image taken from here http://web.tiscali.it/elise_s1/fitting.htmthere are a few other pics here worth a look.

Remember you have this complication also - recirculation pump. EWP_in_Lotus_figures.gif

Let us know how you get on.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRRT is correctly installed and I am starting to think that the cooling circuit actually works as it should for the cooling part.

Driving today temps were between 84-88 C and rad gets nicely hot on right hand side first then water goes through and left side warms up with the water going back.

Leaving it running at idle for 10-15 minutes temp went to 102-103 and fans came on, left it for another 5-7 minutes before temp starts rising again slowly creeping up to 106-107 when fans go into full speed, stayed like that for a few minutes more before temps started climbing slowly to about 110 C, at that point we gave it about 2000 rpm and temps slowly cooled down to 88 C.

Reading a lot of threads, this sort of behaviour actually seems normal and that the pump basically can't cope at idle forever.

post-5397-0-69543500-1428778846_thumb.jpg

If that is the case, fine I will accept that smile.png But what I absolutely can't understand is why there is not hot water going to the matrix and why the heater matrix return gets really hot?

post-5397-0-33268200-1428778892_thumb.jpg

The lower hose remains absolutely cold despite full flow of hot water going to the radiator in the above hose??

The matrix return pipe gets so hot that you can burn yourself on it......

Trying to sketch everything down didn't really help...

post-5397-0-05207900-1428778922_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't the heater matrix return water be what flows to the oil cooler and cools the oil? Right now it seems like rather it is the other way around with the water flowing from the oil cooler into teh heater return matrix since this gets so hot?

We also squeezed the hose by the re-circ pump, which stopped return flow to the reservoir? Is this normal behaviour? I guess it is? But what I don't get is if the heater matrix return is supposed to feed to the oil cooler and then the exit of the oil cooler leads the water to the T and the back towards the reservoir with the T by the recirc pump and then into the reservoir => the how come the heater return pipe gets so hot it feels like water is flowing the wrong way?

Squeezing the hose shut, directly stopped flow back to the reservoir so clearly there is a flow coming from the section with T-s by the oil cooler....

post-5397-0-30970000-1428778941_thumb.jpg

The water level when cold is at the middle level. This was with coolant hot and just having opened the cap. I.e. pressurized the level was at max marker like it is supposed to then when pressure was released it rose.

Should be normal.

Looked through the parts diagram on Deroure today and realized there seems to be a "3. Expansion valve" by the matrix. As I can see no cables going to it, I assume it is not electrically operated. How does it work? And could this be the reason I don't get any heat?

post-5397-0-14062900-1428823298_thumb.jpg

Actually the expansion valve only exists on cars with AC I learned so mine doesn't have it.

Tried to circulate water through the matrix disconnecting the hoses which was just fine, so matrix is definitely not clogged.

I am told that the flow in the hose in the last picture that I marked with ? is indeed supposed to flow the other way which would mean again circulation is backwards in the heater return and which means that heater feed and heater matrix will flow against each other which would explain lack of heating....

Might have to try to mod the hoses like the chap did in the Seloc post. Alltough seems to be a major pain to reach all the places which most likely means rear clam off :(

• 1 month later...

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Finally fixed!

After having tried about every trick in the book we took the clam off and re-routed the plumbing as per thread from Seloc:

http://arc.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=344871&page=2#pid5842077

Turns out this is the magic cure. Heater circuit works perfectly now and colling circuit works much better than before with better flow and lower overall temperatures.

Why did I not try this earlier.....

So as stated in the other thread, S2 111S VVC with re-circulation pump and factory oil cooler does not work flawlessly with PRRT unless plumbing is modified. The stock plumbing needs to come out and be replaced.

Here some pictures from the install:

post-5397-0-11705500-1432750155_thumb.jpg

post-5397-0-58537400-1432750161_thumb.jpg

Archived