litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Clonk

mambosasa

Hey all,

Just looking for your opinion on something.

Whenever I hit a road imperfection or a small pot hole, the jarring I get is rather worrying. Its like a very noticeable clonking that feels almost like when you have worn shocks.

The question is, what could it be? The Gaz are not that old, but could I get the same effect/ feel from worn bushes and or steering rack?

My ARB bushes and drop links have been replaced.

Thoughts?

Bis.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bis

I am about to change my ARB to an adjustable one

I have read all i can regarding the fitting and standard advice over on SELOC is to get some wet and dry sandpaper and sand of the paint where the ARB contacts the bush and. Apparently this keeps more of the grease in between the ARB and the bush.

have a search there is a MASSIVE bun fight going on at there moment about ARB's in general

HTH

Well the rack is certainly one possibility. Some of the Titan racks have bronze bushes and when they wear there is a very noticeable metallic clonking over bumpy surfaces. Mine went like this. It is possible to check.... jack the car up, take the wheels off and with full lock applied grab hold of the fully extended arm with both hands and see if you can detect any vertical movement and quite possibly hear the knocking at the same time. Unfortunately, if it is this, Titan say it's not viable to repair so I ended up with a new rack from them....solved the knocking on mine though :D

Bis

I am about to change my ARB to an adjustable one

I have read all i can regarding the fitting and standard advice over on SELOC is to get some wet and dry sandpaper and sand of the paint where the ARB contacts the bush and. Apparently this keeps more of the grease in between the ARB and the bush.

have a search there is a MASSIVE bun fight going on at there moment about ARB's in general

HTH

Hhhhm, that is interesting. The ARB bushes (EP ones) were only changed a couple of months ago and prior to that, I had no such noise. These bushes are a lot harder that the original ones, so it makes me wonder whether their addition has either introduced more stress elsewhere, such as my ailing bushes and balljoints or due to their hardness, they themselves make the noise. I will have to keep on investigating.

Well the rack is certainly one possibility. Some of the Titan racks have bronze bushes and when they wear there is a very noticeable metallic clonking over bumpy surfaces. Mine went like this. It is possible to check.... jack the car up, take the wheels off and with full lock applied grab hold of the fully extended arm with both hands and see if you can detect any vertical movement and quite possibly hear the knocking at the same time. Unfortunately, if it is this, Titan say it's not viable to repair so I ended up with a new rack from them....solved the knocking on mine though :D

Interesting. I will get the car up and give this ago.

It was interesting that my 9 year old Son noticed it straight away and asked what it was.

I will update once I know more.

Bis.

Archived