litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Metallicy Scraping Noise

spike

getting a metalicy [sp] scrapping kinda noise, which appears to be comming from passenger side front wheel, and only when turning left. i guessed that it may have something to do with the disk shield catching, but ive checked this and the clearances seem fine. it got kinda loud last night, then disappeared aftrer a probe and a poke [fnar lol]

now im wondering if it the wheel bearing....

any ideas b4 i take it to NW [need new boots anyway, but id like your thoughts too]

spikeyspikeyspikeyspikey [repeat to fade]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally with a wheel bearing you can feel it if you jack the car up and hold the wheel top and bottom and try to move it. There shouldn't be any play. If there is look at the hub and you'll soon see where the play is.

Also when driving you can often tell a wheel bearing my turning slightly to one side then the other and the noise will change as the load on the bearing changes.

At least there not expensive to get replaced. My last one only lasted 10K miles.

appologise for the delay in reply, but thanx for the suggestions :bangin:

no play in the wheel, so im assuming no bearing failure. after the horrific stint of loud grinding, it seems to have vanished. my guess is something was lodged somewhere between the disk / caliper [sp] / disk shield, and i guess its dislodged itself!

all seems to be running smooth, but ill get NW to give it a quick once over when im there for new advans

cheers again

spike :wacko:

Yep it will be a stone!

I get this on a regular basis in my Beemer.

Sometimes it's that bad I have to pull over then put it into reverse which usually throws it out.

First time it happened called out the breakdown service. :angry:

Of course when they arrived it fell out and all was ok :drive:

They commented that it was pretty common with very open spoked alloys.

Generally the stone gets trapped between the disc guard and disc.

But sometimes it can be a small chipping trapped in the surface of the pad.

Dave :wacko:

Archived