litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Diesel

Stevie

Blimey. I've just got in and I'm still a bit shaky... It was nearly game over.

I'd just been enjoying myself down my fave 'scenic route' home, thinking how great the car was. But then I overtook someone, and as I powered past (3/4 throttle, 3rd or 4th gear, 60mphish) the back end was all over the place. Luckily it didn't come to anything and fortunately made me slow down and collect my thoughts.

At the next few corners the front right was skidding under relative minor braking and the back end kept stepping out as I accelerated relatively gently. I pulled up, convinced something awful had happened to the car or I had developed 4 punctures all at once.

The road was covered in diesel. I'd heard about the dreaded diesel on roads (I ride a motorbike too) but never actually come across any. Well I'd found about half a mile of it. In puddles at some points. It was like walking on ice, I never expected it to be *that* bad. Heres a little video file of me in sticky rubber soled shoes...

slidey video (150kb)

So,

1) Is there anyone I can tell that can get it cleaned up? Or does it 'disappear' in a day or so?

2) The road may not be 'just a bit damp'. If the car skids or slides unexpectedly, that may be a warning that something hideous might be about to happen. If I hadn't had the back end wobble on the overtake, I would have taken the next corner at more speed and been off the road. :)

3) Thanks for being here to get it off my chest. I daredn't tell wifey!

Scared Stevie

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the council know... it may or may not make a blind bit of difference, but in the event of an accident (serious or not) someone may be able to claim against the council if they don't do something about it, or at least warn folks.

Hmmm, video has me puzzled though.... wind up time??????

The video is of me running and sliding on the road!

It's rained a lot today. I wonder if that will have washed it away. I'll test it carefully tonight and let the council know tomorrow if not - cue lots of being passed between different departments by people who don't care...

The video is of me running and sliding on the road!

It's rained a lot today. I wonder if that will have washed it away. I'll test it carefully tonight and let the council know tomorrow if not - cue lots of being passed between different departments by people who don't care...

Yeah but it looked as though it was outside some houses, but i thought it was a country road as you said you were doing 60...

:)

Yeah but it looked as though it was outside some houses, but i thought it was a country road as you said you were doing 60...

Ah! The vid was half a mile on from the '60' moment. The corner in the vid, I went round at 15mph - fortunately!

The diesel had all gone the night after. So at least it seems diesel can't resist a rainy day which is good.

Archived