litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 door card fabric - refit

Hi all, first post. I've a 2006 S2 Elise 111R, that I am looking to refit the fabric on the door card. The fabric has come loose, when I take the door card off, it looks like an age thing, in which the glue and 'sponge' backing has simply perished. I dont want to purchase new cards or pay for new ones, as I am keen to keep the car OEM, retaining the original fabric. 

Has anyone found that their fabric cards have come loose with age? Have you refitted the fabric?

The inner leather section behind the window winder is set in the card by 'fir tree' fasteners, which I am worried about busting, if they cannot be replaced from the inside. If I can get the inner card off, I can re-glue the fabric easier.

Has anyone else attempted this? Images show how the fabric has come loose, its tucked behind the inner card at the moment. Id like to glue it properly.

IMG_3897.HEIC IMG_3898.HEIC

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of views, no replies!

Surely I cant have the only fabric door cards that are coming loose with age? No one else with this issue?

Can anyone confirm if the fasteners in the smaller inner card can be replaced easily?

Hi,

Ive got a 2010 S3 so i dont have this issue, but for the sake of replying to help. THe pics downloaded fine and took 2 seconds. So the pics aint an issue i dont think. Terms of your fix, maybe a local trimmer depending on your location maybe? I have heard good things about Allon White so might be a good point to call them?

Cheers Random. Ive bought some new clips, so will wait for them to arrive and consider popping the middle card off, and see if I can get a contact adhesive to re-stick. Ive noticed when I get out I can catch the trim with my foot unless the door is open fully. Passenger side its less of an issue. 

I see Allon White do refurbs, but they do cost a bit. So will go for a re-glue for now and see how it goes.