litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Scottish Help Please....

Snapper

Hi Snapper

If you havnt found anywhere to stay in Fort William, Try the guest house in Spean Bridge on the A82 out of Fort William over the bridge turn right and it is on the right (sort of on the corner. Its run by two gay guys, rooms are very good and the resteraunt is fantasitc. Car is safe as well.

Cant do Scotland in a weekend but Isle of Skye..... Say no more.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou to everyone who offered me advice on places to go and see and what to do if I get a problem while up in the highlands..

I must say that I had a wonderful time while in Scotland.. We had a fair bit of rain while up there, but the good thing was it kept a lot of people off the road.

Heading into Glasgow we followed a Yellow S2 Exige (only the 2nd time I have ever seen another S2 Exige on the road) & Heading up to Castle Eilean Doran on the A87 through Five Sister did some of the distance with an Elise S2 111S? in Storm Titanium. Hi to both of you who ever you was, hope you had a good time as well.

I must say the roads was fantastic, through the most spectacular scenery, clear most of the time and hardly a speed camera to be seen.

For those who are interested here's our route:

Day 1: We took the route: Motorway to Glasgow, crossed the bridge and stuck to the West Coast Road stopping at Inveraray Castle, on to Oban for the first night, at Barcaldine House, Barcaldine. ( http://www.barcaldinehousehotel.com ). We ate at a nice little fish restaurant in the quay in Oban.

Day 2: Up to Fort William taking in Portnacorish Castle & Inverlochy Castle, up to Spean Bridge, Invergarry, through the Five Sister and on to Dornie to see Castle Eilean Doran. (Well worth a look for anyone who has never been and very cheap entrance fee.

Then up and around the coast road over Bealach Na Ba (Through the Clouds) to Apple cross, around the head land, past Torridon, to Kinlockewe, Around the coast road (AA832) and up the A835 to Ullapool. Stayed in a nice little B&B and had and evening meal in a bistro on the sea front. Great meal and big portions.

Day 3: Up A835 to Ledmore Junction and through the mountains on the A837 to Inveran, Ardgay, Alness, Iverness, and down the A82 on the Banks of lock Ness. Stopped at Urquhart Castle for a look, (More Expensive than Castle Eilean Doran and it was just a set of ruins, so we skipped going in). Did we miss anything much?

Carried on back down the A82 to Fort William, over the Black Mountains to Crianlarich. left on to A85 to Kilmanhog, right on the A821 through Aberfoyle to the A811. What a great peace of twisty road. (thanks for that one)..

Down to Glasgow and onto Gourock where we stayed in the 14th century tower house castle, Castle Levan. This was well worth the money for and very cheap. Great hosts as well. ( http://www.castle-levan.co.uk ).

That night we went in to the town and had a curry.

Day 4: Around the coast road to Kilmarnock, then south on the A76 Dumfries, the M6 south and home.

I will post some pictures shortly...

Archived