litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Windows Bust

dunz

Having recently bought an Elise I have had problems with the drivers window, I can't wind it down. After looking inside the door, the rubber on the channel that the window runs down has perished and has bent out of shape.

I spoke to the dealer who quoted 2-3 hours labour, ouch!!.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this themselves, if so how hard is it? or, do you know a friendly garage somewhere in the west midlands who can do it at a decent labour charge?

Also any ideas on anyone who can help with a repair/replacement alarm fob?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lotus wanted to drill a hole into the bottom of my door to pull the runner out..(£400 including new MEch and glass)) .... Bollocks to them - I did it myself too and I'm an idiot..

I did both runners, front and back, new mechanicm, and re-bonded new U-Clips to the glass . . .

PM me if you get stuck..... That Jock Elise link is really good but has bits missing if I remember . . :D

Yeah i've done it on mine, it is possible to do yourself, its just real pain in the arse and fiddly to do, rubbers are £5 ish a side

Thanks for the reply, any tips when having a go? Apart from thin arms an 2ft fingers!!!

I’ve got a similar problem with my drivers side window. When I wind it down the resistance builds up till it gets about halfway then there is a sort of scraping sound and it goes loose for the rest of the way. The centre of the door at the bottom flexes very slightly when this happens too. I took the panel off at the weekend to have a look inside but couldn’t see what’s wrong (to be honest though I wasn’t sure what I was looking for). Does anyone know what the problem might be? At the moment the window works okay but I don’t want it to get worse if I leave it.

first job - stick wide masking tape to the back of your hands and fingers - I got this tip a while back, it's so sharp inside the door..

The "Guide" link from the previous link on this post covers most of what you'll need to do. Re bonding the stud clips to the glass etc. . .Whats probably happned is that either the front or rear felt has perished, and caused the mechanism damage in some way as follows possibly)

a) one or more of the 3x stud carriers has become un-bonded from the glass. There are 3 of these that bolt the glass onto the bar that moves it up an down. If this is all that happened, then you are laughing (they are about a quid each - plus the previosuly mentioned felt £5 ish - PLUS some 2 part bonding glue from Halfords)

B) The above has happened, PLUS you have bent one or both of the mechanism bars that move the glass up and down. The main one is about 15 inches, the lower one about 4. These can be straightened, or bought for about £30 .

c) All of the above, PLUS the winder mechanicm has snapped / bend.. Yes, mine was all 3 . . The mechanism is abot £30 too I think..

All of these are standard Lotus parts, I got mine from "SJ Sportscars" - on t'internet (Google search)

The site doesn't cover replacing the felts though, and more importantly removing the persihed ones. The rear is easy, un bolt it from under the door and take it out to do the job properly. The front felt has to be fixed in situ.. Get your hands in and pull/scrape away at the old felt with a stanley knife before re-bonding the new one in place.

Have a good look and make sure you find out which bits are damaged, and which are not - It's pretty easy once the panel is off and the glass is out...

Getting the glass back in, and re-attached is tricky too - let me know if you get stuck . . .

Good luck - it's worth it. . I'm still smiling every time I wind my window up/down 3 months later ;0)

Thanks for all the info and thanks again to Alan for his good advice too. It seems it’s just the centre stud carrier which has become un-bonded so (hopefully) it will just be this which needs to be fixed. I’m not sure about the front and rear runners, they seem ok but it’s hard to tell with the glass still in place.

When I get a chance I will take the window out and have a go at re-bonding it on and probably replacing the runners too if need be. Hopefully that will cure it and enable me to wind down the window without the worry of it disappearing into the door!

Archived