litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Track Rod End- What Does It Do?

Sol

Please can someone tell me what a track rod end does!

Seen it loads as an Elise tadts thing, but in this case its to resolve a disagreement I have had with my creator and keeper of the womb. This is in reference to a trusty Toyota Carina.

Basically, MOT was failed due to track rod end. The mot was then passed by someone who may have overlooked it by mistake<cough>The questions are:

a) What does it do?

:wacko: If it needs replacing and isn't done immediately, what damage/danger can it cause?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please can someone tell me what a track rod end does!

Seen it loads as an Elise tadts thing, but in this case its to resolve a disagreement I have had with my creator and keeper of the womb. This is in reference to a trusty Toyota Carina.

Basically, MOT was failed due to track rod end. The mot was then passed by someone who may have overlooked it by mistake<cough>The questions are:

a) What does it do?

:wacko: If it needs replacing and isn't done immediately, what damage/danger can it cause?

It so cheap to change, why take risks ?

I agree! Its not mine, its for me ma. Sadly, the only person more stubborn than me is her. Im glad to admit I know nothing about cars, but she insists that having 9 brothers (yes, 9, not including 4 sisters) who are mechanics means she knows more about cars. Its a long story, but Im trying to get her to do it asap and need some factual reasons as I dont have a clue!

If it is dangerous, she needs to be aware because I dont want anything horrible happening to her :wacko:

and that sunglass smiley is supposed to be a 'b )'. This tinternet, funny thing..

If it's a steering track-rod end that's worn, over time the wear will increase and then the ball joint will pull out and you will lose the steering.

It's quite an important bit.

Thanks Mark, thats the just the kind of info I need. And quite sobering. So, out of interest, what other types of track rod ends exist then?

track rod end is an adjustable end that fits to the end of the track rod, hence the name, it means basically that when you turn ur steering wheel the wheels turn! without it, ur wheels will go where ever they feel like it, and u can do what u like with the steering wheel whilst praying you hit something soft. hope this helps, if its for an elise, they are bout £20 each from eliseparts, you need two. :wacko:

Archived