litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ipod Or Other

Bramble111s

Have been looking at yamaha Hard drive music systems, so can store all my Cd's and easy access them as if on a juke box, I don't want to have a big pc in my lounge, or even a small pc, and don't want to turn on the tv as a screen, and dont want a pdf to browse either, although this does look like a good option.

So now I have come full circle and am looking at an ipod or equivilent.

I notice on some download sites they dont recommend them due to music format issues? I assume this is just a download music war and one can get most music in any format??

I was told one can tune in a radio to receive the ipod?? Does this work in the car? and even on an elise radio? If so this sounds awesome, no more CD changers required? Also I see docking stations with speakers, although assume sound quality is minimal?

Am feeling very old and out of touch with this new fangled technology, can anyone fill me in or diret me to a good website, whilst I sit in my rocking chair and fill my pipe please...... :P

Ladders, I assume you know all about this kind of mac thing?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim!

Well, as for quality, if you put your music files onto the ipod as Aiff files then they will be pretty much the same as if you play it from CD. The only problem is you won't fit as many on the ipod as if you were to burn the tracks as mp3's which are more compressed.

I would suggest you either get a hard disc music player as you mention, or if you want a portable system get as big an ipod as you can get.

With the ipod route you will be able to take it in your car with you and play tracks through your head unit.

I would avoid the route of using a radio broadcaster where you tune your headunit into the ipod.

I'd get an interface, some of which you can controll the ipod from the headunit.

Hope this helps! :P

Keith (Loafing Wafu) has just put an iPod in his 111s S2 and it worked brilliantly - maybe he could help you out

We were blasting out the theme from 'Bay Watch'* like you wouldn't believe on Saturday... I kid you not :D:P:P

*Which I'd never heard before, as when I was 12, I always used to watch Baywatch with the sound on mute... can't think why....

:P

Well, i've been using mine for ages...

I use the std AAC format (Apple Default one) and the quality is better than MP3 - it's obviously still compressed, but that's of little relevance in an Elise!

You can use what is called an FM Modulator, which basically plays the tracks through an FM signal that you tune in... this further sacrficies the quality and when you drive around and move signal areas it can vary even more.

The best system will be to connect via the Dock connector and use an Aux input into your stereo. - I've posted in a couple of other threads on what you need for that.

There are newer units out now which mean you can control the iPod from your headunit controls - these cost about £50.

As for size of files, number of tracks... I have 1002 songs of average length (3 mins) on my 4Gb Mini iPod so think about how many you really need.... that's over 3 days without hearing the same song!!!! (and that's if you were listening 24 hours a day)

As a complete off the wall suggestion JVC have just launched a unit that can play DVD-R's with MP3's on... so a similar number to that on a Mini iPod.

cheers all, will check out the ipods things, my other wish is to pack away our 400 or so CD's, so thats 4000 tracks, at 10 per CD, looks like this will not be possible....

Also what about playing them in the house? docking stations? any good, is the £50 apple one all one needs?

How easy is track selection, bearing in mind 4000 tracks!

The head unit that works with the ipod sounds good... any lazy boy links appreciated muchly.

all further comments welcome...

wow! just been checking out the speakers, there are loads of choices! Crikey I am overwhelmed with choice! Really impressed with this, love the harmon karmen in car LCD display and toggle thing, but wouldn't want to leave this lying about...

Speakers - you mean for the car?? Another minefield :)

Steve - CD's are limited in number of tracks plus you have to change them, have more in the car... so if you already have an iPod why not use it :lol:

Right anyway..

4000 tracks, easily done on a larger iPod (they aren't that much bigger than a mini one) choose between 40 or 60Gb and you are unlikely to run out of space!!! I have a docking station (buy off eBay for much much less than from the store) and will soon be hooking it up to my new Tivoli Radio (CBA to add it my Naim system as i would need all sorts of sily connectors) but basically you need a 3.5mm Mini Jack to a 2 Phono cable (2 Phono plugs into the stereo you already have, oh and did i mention i have one for sale :D)

Track selection - you can create playlists with songs in that you want and then select that playlist and leave it be. Otherwise the latest iPods use "Click-Wheel" where you rotate the wheel to cycle through tracks and click it on either North, South, East or West to do something else (next track, play, up a level etc)

If you link it to your in car system it depends on what stereo you have as to which you need.... this is controled using the up, down, left and right buttons on your stereo anyway.

iPod Interfaces - choose your brand and check compatibility

great, cheers Scott, still lookin... it seems the 40gig one is discontinued, shame as £219 from John Lewis seemed a bargain....

Looks like I need to find a 60gig one to fit my collection on...

Bye Bye CD's!

anyone find a 60 or 40 gig at less than Apple price let me know

thanks

From my experience Apple seem to be the cheapest places for their own products nd their customer service really is second to none so i would just say buy from them. Free engraving too :P Oh and based on your blurb above, a 20Gb one will fit 5000 songs on....

A top tip, if you know any students at uni, they get about 10% off.

Re: price, witness the iPod power supply i bought the other day from the Bullring, £19 from the Apple Store, literally 40 yards away in Dixons XL - £26 for an identical product!!!

Archived