Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

The Truth About Global Warming

dss123

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey - loads of numbers for a Friday afternoon :blink:

The 'report' does have a point. I agree that the motorist is often the scapegoat for helping with global warming, but for the life of me I can't believe global warming's a problem - for example, the weather in this country is really crap and not warm at all!

Must rush off now, got a few plastic bags to burn and aerosols to use!

Blimey - loads of numbers for a Friday afternoon :D

The 'report' does have a point. I agree that the motorist is often the scapegoat for helping with global warming, but for the life of me I can't believe global warming's a problem - for example, the weather in this country is really crap and not warm at all!

Must rush off now, got a few plastic bags to burn and aerosols to use!

Typical ill-informed response - Global warming: it will make the country nice and warm. Crap

What will happen is that the Gulf Stream (that keeps our climate warm) will cease and it will become colder (more inkeeping with our latitude). Weather will be more unpredictable. Fact.

I hang my head in meterological shame :P

The Gulf Stream eh? I might have known bloody Saddam would have had something to do with it

:D

Alex old chap - I'm only havin' a larf mate. I find the old Global Green House Warming Effect a bit of a bugger really, as do my cucumbers

I think the reality is that we are all just passengers on this planet.

We are pretty insignificant really. When our time is up we'll be sent packing.

The earth is over 4.5 billion years old, to think that we have some control over these complex systems is daft!

We'll probably get another ice age before long anyway!

Have fun while you can, without pissing people off, is what I say!

Duncs

The WWF are asking the G8 to:

Formally recognise that climate change is real and human-induced

Recognise that we cannot allow the world's temperature to rise more than 2°C past pre-industrial levels - the critical 'tipping point' for people and biodiversity

Set a clear timetable of international targets to reduce their C02 emissions (60-80 per cent reductions by 2050)

Ensure all G8 countries stick to their commitments on Kyoto

Introduce real initiatives (with solid financial backing) to boost the renewable energy sector and energy efficiency

Send a strong signal that carbon emissions trading systems have a long-term future

It's all just hot air (no pun intended!)

" There is no dispute at all about the fact that even if punctiliously observed, the Kyoto Protocol would have an imperceptible effect on future temperatures -- one-twentieth of a degree by 2050. "

Dr. S. Fred Singer, atmospheric physicist

Professor Emeritus of Environmental Sciences at the University of Virginia

I guess we can all decide which side of the fence we sit.

But the Liz stays!

Dunc

Especially now China are going to start producing billions of cars, so instead of all those bike jams it'll be car jams.

And it doesnt look like America's going to change their ways either!

This may sound like a cop out, but I've always believed that extinction is a natural part of the whole 'Earth' experience. Its just evolution. If we aren't smart enough to do something about it, then we'll die out, simple as that. Something else will evolve that won't bugger up the planet... (or will like its new state)

Only drawback is that we'll take a lot of other creatures with us..

Man, too deep for this early...

I need a cruise - oh yes, I'm going on one in a few hours.... QE2 here I come!

Archived