litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

For F***k Sake, Stack Problems Again!

ryan.wilkinson

A few weeks ago I had a bizzare situation where my speedo only registered cumulative speed based on accerleration. Sounds wierd I know but the needle didnt fall when I slowed and then went up when I speeded up. Anyway after sitting there switching the ignition on and off 20 million times I eventually got the needle back to zero and the problem was pretty much sorted.

Well now imagine my happiness when the problem has returned with avengence. 3 days now without a speedo (well it registered off the dial). Every time I slow it seems to wiggle a bit as though wanting to fall but it doesnt. Then if I switch the ignition on and off 20 million more times I can again get it to zero but the problem starts again. One final strange bit is that the needle rises faster than I accererate (according to the dial I can get from 0-100 in about 6 secs!!).

Looked in the Elise service manual but nothing on the Stack system. Can anyone let me know how this system works so I can have a poke around this weekend.

Cheers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it does it again then it is likely to be the speed sensor. This is located on the NS rear hub. Quite cheap to replace (cheaper than a new stack then) or just needs cleaning.

Cant see it being the sensor if it is adding up cumulative speeds. Sensor would normally mean no reading for a while then a sudden leap. The cumulative would seem to indicate a problem with the stack unit itself.

my stack was juddering around a lot and now its stopped working totally so do you think thats the sensor?

Brown sensor FAN kick in - pull it off and the fan should default kick in.

Blue sensor STACK pile of crap and bad readings.

MYTHE - this is wrong , that is wrong, First call is check you have a fully bled cooling system, DO NOT make any assumptions here, bleed it.

If the fan works re pull the plug off, change the blue sensor.

See how you go from there.

I would try the sensor first. Replacement/cleaning will cure "most" peoples problems and is the least costly option. If that doesn't work then it's gonna hurt unless you still have warrantee :lol:

Archived