litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dc2 Block Vs Ep3 Block

pizzaboy

Ok ok I hear everyone admiring the K20a 2001+ CTR engine conversion into Elises/Exiges but at the cost of 10k I think its over the top. About 6k all in on any reasonably new turbo jap import would create an utter monster.

So I realised ive never heard of anybody using the DC2 Integra B18c5 block. Near 200bhp/130lb/ft lightweight block and cheaper. Im certain its been done. Anyone? If so how does it compare to the K20?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how cheap do you want. the k20 can be had for circa 2k. u aren't gonna get any modern engine cheaper than that really. the 10k i admit is expensive but i am sure they will readily admit that the engine is only a fraction of the overall cost. i.e r+d, engine mount fabrication, labour, warranty etc.

True but is the B18c block not just as worthy? Has it been carried out before perhaps?

To further my point you could transplant a 2ltr into a nova for far less.. I cant see why they charge so much for what is already a tried and tested conversion. 5k is what it would cost all in including gbox ecu drive shafts labour etc to drop a 260bhp 3SGTE into a NA Celica.

Is 10k usually what it costs to dump better blocks into elises?

you are paying garage labour rates and they have price fixed it at 10k with all the companies. other people have done it a lot cheaper and sure it can be done for probably half of that.

Pop onto SELOC and ask Simon S... in fact i believe it's already been discussed.

You can get a Honmda conversion done for around £7k now anyway and it's well worth it! Also FWIW, the Honda conversion in the Elise yields approx 210bhp and 148lbft

The integra engine is a corker, but I believe (its been a long time since I worked on jap stuff) that the older integra engine is vtec, as opposed to the ivtec system on the new civic type-r. Basically the ivtec system is similar to the VVC unit from rover (continually variable valve control) whereas the std vtec is a 2-stage thing. This is probably where the better torque figure comes from, however driving them both would reveal a much better torque and power spread from the ivtec system.

It is possible to get better power and torque from the integra, and the best system we found was to ditch the slow cam, put the fast cam in the slow slot, and a race cam in place of the fast cam. Then fit a vtec controller and fiddle with the switch point to get a smooth transition. The low-down torque is improved considerably with this set-up and you get more top-end power from the race cam... It also removes some of the peakie-ness from the engine, however its a bit of an arse of a job to do and set-up

b ;)

ps... is it not easier to go for a VHPD k-series swap, or change heads and fit throttle bodies to what you have?..

Archived