litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Renault Gp Third Drivers

Mark H

Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean both join Lotus Renault GP in 2011 as third drivers,

adding further strength to the team’s impressive driver line-up.

Bruno Senna

Fresh from his first full season of Formula 1, Bruno Senna arrives at Enstone as one of the

team’s third drivers for 2011. Although a latecomer to motorsport, Bruno’s rise through the

ranks has been remarkable. He started his career in British F3 in 2005 before moving to the

GP2 Series in 2007 where he immediately showed his raw speed and talent. By 2008 he was

fighting for the GP2 Series title, narrowly missing out on winning the championship in the final

race, finishing as series runner-up. A move to sports cars in 2009 and a shot at the Le Mans

24 Hours proved a stepping stone to Formula 1 as Bruno made his debut at the start of 2010

with HRT.

Key details:

Nationality: Brazilian

DOB: 15 October 1983

Bruno Senna: “Ready to make the most of this opportunity”

Bruno, congratulations on your new role with Lotus Renault GP – how does it feel to

be part of the team?

It’s a great moment for me. I’ve been trying to get into a good Formula 1 programme for a

couple of years so it feels great to be joining such an established team. I’m proud of this

achievement and thankful for the opportunity that I’ve been given.

What do you think of the team’s new livery – will it feel special to wear these iconic

colours?

It’s probably the most attractive colour scheme in Formula 1 history. Black and gold looked

beautiful back in the 1980s, when my uncle was racing, and they look just as stunning on a

current car. Also, to be able to wear the same colours that my uncle used for a few years in

his career feels very special.

You visited Enstone recently, what did you think of the facilities?

I was very impressed. When you walk around the factory you can see how much is going on

behind the scenes and how hard everybody is pushing to take the team forward. Everyone is

optimistic that the team will take a big jump forward in performance this year.

What do you hope to learn in your role as third driver?

This year will be all about integrating myself with the team and extracting the most I can from

being in such a competitive environment. Being part of this project will give me so much

valuable experience and it’s down to me to make the most of it. I hope that I can develop

myself and prove to the team that I should be given an opportunity for the future.

Romain Grosjean

Romain Grosjean joins Lotus Renault GP for 2011 as a third driver. He brings with him an

enviable CV, which includes title-winning success in the F3 Euroseries and the GP2 Asia

Series. Having been a key part of Renault’s young driver programme, he graduated to the

Renault F1 Team in 2008 as a test driver before stepping up to a race seat for the second

half of 2009. Last year saw the 24-year-old Frenchman race in various categories, including

the FIA GT1 Championship and the Auto GP series with DAMS where he was crowned

champion. With a wealth of experience to draw upon, he remains one of the most promising

French motor sport talents and will balance his F1 duties with another season in the GP2

Series.

Key details:

Nationality: French / Swiss

DOB: 17 April 1986

Romain Grosjean: “There is a real buzz about this team”

Romain, you will be a third driver for Lotus Renault GP in 2011. Tell us what it means

to be given this chance?

It’s a great opportunity for me to be back in Formula 1 because my dream is to try and get

back on the grid. It’s a good time to be here because this team is getting stronger and

everybody saw how much the car improved last year. Now, with the arrival of Lotus as a

partner, there is a real buzz about this team and it’s exciting to be a part of it.

You have had a long association with Enstone through your links with Renault – did it

feel special to go back there?

Returning to Enstone felt just like coming home. It brought back a lot of happy memories

because I know the place so well and I have a lot of friends there. It’s also special because

this is a new beginning for the team and everybody is really motivated and excited about the

year ahead.

You’ve already been around Formula 1 for several years, but what more can you learn

in your role this year?

There are always things to learn in Formula 1, especially these days when drivers have even

less time in the cars. Just going to the engineering meetings will be valuable and I know I can

learn a lot by listening to Robert and Vitaly talk about the car.

What are your objectives for 2011 and will you continue racing alongside your F1

duties?

Yes, I will be racing for DAMS this year, starting off in GP2 Asia and then doing the main GP2

series. It’s something I’m really looking forward to because there is a new GP2 car for 2011

and new Pirelli tyres, so it will be a fresh start for everybody. The team is very motivated and

we will be pushing hard to try and win the title.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived