litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lrgp Academy

Mark H

New for this year is the creation of LRGP Academy, a system designed to bring on promising

talents and prepare them for Grand Prix racing.

For 2011, the team’s reserve drivers become the first to join the programme and will have the

chance to gain Formula 1 experience in a 2009-spec Formula 1 car, the R29.

The Academy is designed to prepare drivers for the demands of Formula 1 competition both

on and off the track. Whether attending fitness camps, undergoing media training, or actually

getting behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car, it will give drivers the chance to develop a wide

range of skills while building a relationship with the team.

Lotus Renault GP Reserve Drivers

Fairuz Fauzy

Nationality: Malaysian

DOB: 24 October 1982

The 28-year-old Malaysian joins Lotus Renault GP with a wealth of motor sport experience,

including significant Formula 1 mileage gained during practice sessions in 2010. He has also

raced regularly in the GP2 Series, A1GP, and the World Series by Renault, where he finished

as championship runner-up in 2009. In addition to his Formula 1 duties, Fairuz will return to

racing this year in the GP2 series with Super Nova Racing. His car will carry significant

branding from Malaysian car manufacturer, Proton.

Q&A with Fairuz Fauzy

Fairuz, congratulations on your new role with Lotus Renault GP – how does it feel?

It’s a real honour to be part of a top team that has achieved so much in the sport and it’s

something any driver dreams about. It’s feels especially exciting because of the new

partnership with Lotus Cars and I’m very proud to be here at the start of a new era for the

team.

Are you excited by the chance to work closely with the team’s race drivers?

Yes, it’s good to be working with strong drivers like Robert and Vitaly and I intend to make the

most of this opportunity to learn as much as I can. I used to race against Robert and Vitaly in

the junior categories so we know each other quite well and it’s great to be in a team with

them.

How important a step is this in your career?

It’s a big step for me. I never expected to be here and it’s a dream to be part of such a strong

team, which is a big motivation for me. It’s a good chance to continue learning about Formula

1 and to improve as a driver so that hopefully in the future I can be on the grid myself.

What other objectives do you have this year?

I will also be racing in the GP2 series and that’s something I’m really excited about. I think it’s

important to keep racing, to stay sharp and keep up the momentum in your career. I’m back

with the Super Nova team who I already know well because I raced with them in the GP2

Asia Series.

Jan Charouz

Nationality: Czech

DOB: 17 July 1987

23-year-old Czech, Jan Charouz, continues as a reserve driver with the team in 2011 as he

builds on the experience he gained last year. Already he has established his reputation as a

top-line sports car driver having won the Le Mans Series title last year with Aston Martin

Racing, alongside his success in single-seaters. In 2006 he was crowned F3000 International

Masters Champion and last year raced in Auto GP, where he finished fourth in the standings.

For 2011, he lines up for a second season of the World Series by Renault determined to build

on a promising 2010 campaign.

Q&A with Jan Charouz

Jan, how does it feel to be confirmed a reserve driver for Lotus Renault GP?

It’s great that I could stay with this team and build on the relationship that I established last

year with everyone. Of course, this year things have changed quite a bit and I think it’s really

exciting that Lotus has become a partner of the team. It’s such an iconic brand in Formula 1

and I think every kid dreams of driving a Lotus so I’m really happy to be part of this team.

How valuable did you find the experience of being a reserve driver last year?

I think being so close to a Formula 1 team is incredibly valuable. It’s only when you have the

chance to do it that you realise how much you learn. It’s about more than simply driving a

Formula 1 car because you become part of the team, learn how the guys operate and build

relationships. It helps prepare you for eventually stepping up to become a race driver.

In addition to your Formula 1 duties, what other plans do you have for 2011?

My plan is to continue racing in the World Series by Renault for a second season and

hopefully fight for wins and the title. I may also race in Auto GP again depending on my

schedule.

What do you hope to achieve this year?

I hope to improve as a driver and use the experience I gained last year to become stronger in

every aspect of my racing. It’s important to get some good results this year so that I can take

another step forward in my career and move closer to achieving my ambitions in Formula 1.

Ho-Pin Tung

Nationality: Chinese

Date of birth: 4 December 1982

Having been third driver for the Renault F1 Team in 2010, Ho-Pin Tung remains part of Lotus

Renault GP’s reserve driver line-up in 2011. The 28-year-old has a wealth of motorsport

experience to draw upon and has raced in the GP2 Series, A1GP and German F3, where he

was crowned champion in 2006. He got his first taste of Formula 1 in 2003 when he tested for

Williams after winning the Formula BMW Asia title, and since then has gained extra mileage

in his role with the Renault F1 Team during 2010.

Q&A with Ho-Pin Tung

Ho-Pin, you must be pleased to be part of Lotus Renault GP in 2011…

Of course, it feels great to stay with the team and be part of their future. It shows the faith

they have in me and I’ll do everything I can to show that I deserve this position. I think the

team’s new identity is incredibly exciting and it’s special to be linked with Lotus, which is one

of the most famous brands in the history of motorsport.

How much did you learn last year by being integrated with the team?

Being inside the team at tests and races gives you a really deep understanding of how

Formula 1 works. I always enjoyed going to the engineers’ meetings and listening to the

discussions because you learn a lot about the technical aspects of Formula 1. Obviously my

season was cut short when I got injured in the GP2 Series, but it was still a really important

year for me.

How important is it for a driver to be linked to a Formula 1 team these days?

It’s vital because it takes you a step closer to actually racing in Formula 1. Also, being part of

a driver programme helps make you a more complete person because in Formula 1 you have

to cope with a lot of different things, as well as driving the car. There are other benefits, too,

because my role last year brought a lot of media attention, especially from China, and that

created lots of other opportunities for me. Hopefully I can continue to build on that this year.

What other plans do you have in place for 2011?

I’m still finalising my plans, but I hope to be racing somewhere in a top single-seater

championship.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived