litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Steering Rack

Gaz_R

When I bought my Elise S1 Nick Whale told me that the NS steering rack was a little loose. Horizon had replaced the OS gaiter last year (under wrty) and I am taking it in next week for them to check it out.

My question is really how much should a new steering rack cost (Horizon have quoted £250+) and has anyone experience of this - how much did you pay? I am hoping a gaiter replacment NS will sort it.

They also quoted me £80 for a Geo - Is that a good price???? Seems a bit much to me. Is it worth it and waht exactly do they do (apart from hang infra red sensors off the wheels and plug in a computer....)

Thanks everyone. :drive:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaz,

If you are saying your steering rack is "a little loose", new gaiters won't make any difference at all - I'm afraid the damage has been done!

The Liz steering rack is quite delicate and needs to be looked after. Split gaiters should be replaced as soon as they are noted to keep any crud out.

£250 seems ok to me for a rack.

Also the Horizon geo at £80 is well worth it. Had it done when my car was in for it's C at Horizon. Transforms the handling!

A proper geo will check and set toe, camber and caster. It's much more than just a quick wheel alignment check, it takes time and it needs someone with the right kit but more importantly loads of experience (Mike has both).

Hope it helps

Dunc

Ask a main stealer how much yhey do geo for. i got quoted 150 iirc from storm in leic, and they just send them down the road to a small tyre garage for a standard geo setting. ie they have no idea how changing it one way or another will make the car behave. Horizon have experience and a lot of advice to offer.

Russ

Check with horizon whether its a new steering rack your getting and not a conditioned one. Getting a conditioned one is cheaper and as i understand it just as good unless you are a serious track day goer.

Ally

I bought a recon' rack from Paul Matty SC, it was £175.

I'm sure Horizon would have said if they were going to fit a recon' rack.

A proper geo will check and set toe, camber and caster. It's much more than just a quick wheel alignment check, it takes time and it needs someone with the right kit but more importantly loads of experience (Mike has both).

Horizon don't check the caster on their £99 (inc Vat) geo. But it is still well worth it, absolutly transforms the car.

And if you know how  you would like the car to handle tell Mike, and he will set the Geo to your liking.

Now tell me £80 is high  :blush:

£80 is sounding okay. Suppose I am used to £20 for tracking.

The steering rack is a reckon, not having that done yet, Mike is just going to take a look at it when the tyres and geo are done and we'll go from there. Hopefully a gaitor is going to do it.

I assume if a new rack is needed there is no point in getting the geo done?

Archived