litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wheel Nuts

lesstatt

Anyone know how to get the cover off the locking wheel nut if you haven't got the little tool in the bulkhead, i managed to get it jammed on one of mine and it wouldnt come off, it broke it in the end into little pieces, i suppose its a trip to storm to get one or does another fit it ??

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan,

I had the same problem and it is possible to remove the wheel nut caps with two small screw drivers.

I wrapped them in electrical tape to protect the wheels and worked on the cap with the tips of both srew drivers together (on opposite sides)

It's a bit of a fiddle and you end up removing them with a series of small wiggles.

That said, if they are jammed on enough to break the removal tool you might have your work cut out using this method.

Best of luck

Dunc

I tried (and failed) with all the above on Saturday (obviously the weekend for it) when getting my track wheels off. I found that the remover from my Freelander worked and is exactly the same spec. I'll be off to Halfords to see if I can another to replace the one I broke from the Elise.

Tip for the future - previously when I've found that the caps were getting sticky, WD40 seemed to loosed them off nicely. Didn't work this time for some reason, but worth a try if the alternative is breaking your tools. Just remember to wash the WD40 off.

Archived