litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Suspension

tazbaz69

aww so i still need some adaption plates to fit to s1?? how much do theses cost and how much to there lower the ride height from s1? I got the suspension for £200 with 7.5k on them

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said eliseparts sell them or steve Butts will sell you the bernard scouse ones. They are £60 from all of these suppliers, and all do the same job. which is either lower your standard suspension 15mm all round. OR for fitting S2 stuff to a S1. There are a few different options on ride heights which depends on the build date of your car and the position of your spring on the damper.

First things first Baz you need to decide on what ride height you want to run?

aww cheers Daz, i want to car quite low as it looks quite high at min like a 4x4..lol. I have seen some S1s with what looks like the wheels right in the arch( due to nitrons/ajustables or s2 set up???). My S1 is a R reg 97 model so wat sort of options do i have in the ride height?? :D

Right Baz!

This is info I got from drudging through SELOC forums. It seems you can have as follows: (front/rear)

1. 125/135 according to steveB his most popular kit but this incorporates vx220 springs, front and rear brackets so this was out of the question for me cause I'd just paid £300 for S2 stuff.

2. 110/120 this uses all S2 stuff but you need the brackets on the front and you have a pre 3580 chassis number the same as me which means you will have to fully relax the springs on the damper body(no circlip grooves showing) to get 120 on the rear. The rear brackets are only needed on post 3580 build date chassis numbers.

3.110/100 I'm not too sure on this height as i felt it would of been too low and after a little research could not find anyone running this height.

IMHO I would go for the 110/120 it seems to be the favourite on here. All you need is the front brackets off Steve Butts then to get it all fitted.

I will also though have to alter my spring position as i have 1 circlip groove showing on both fronts and rears. I think this is done by using spring compressors. I'm in the middle of finding out off Steve so will post more when I get info from him.

Hope this helps Baz :D

110/120 this uses all S2 stuff but you need the brackets on the front and you have a pre 3580 chassis number the same as me which means you will have to fully relax the springs on the damper body(no circlip grooves showing) to get 120 on the rear. The rear brackets are only needed on post 3580 build date chassis numbers.

this sounds best plan then, how much would this actually lower my car than standard, i,m not sure what ride height i'm currently running with the standard S1 red konis.

The earlier S1's were at 140/140 and the later ones ran 160/160 I think the changeover was mid 1998.

I've spoke to Steve Butts and ordered the brackets for £60. Hes also told me both fronts and rears need to be fully relaxed. This is done by using spring compressors, but is all pretty straight forward. And then this will give 110/120. which is supposed to be loads better due to the front being slightly lower than the rear.

I've been in 3 different elises on track days, all with nitron suspension and the rides in all of them felt realy good from the passenger seat when comparing them to the ride of my s1 on the same track.They were also being driven by faaaaaar better track drivers than myself but the grip they seemed to have was awesome( again compared to my konis)

From reading a lot of the archives about nitrons on bc bbs, general opinions seem to be that if the nitrons are adjusted for road use then they will give a ride of similar (some say not quite as good)quality to the s2 stuff. On the track though, the nitrons seem to be much favoured.

About £500 squid difference between s2 and nitrons though.

Have been deciding between the two now for about 4 months!!! ;)

Russ

Yep! Looked at loads of info on exhausts as well, Probably get round to that when the original gives up. Trying to find one of the quieter s/s zorsts 'cause i don't want to get out of the car with a headache after a long journey! Raceline one seems favourite at the min, not too loud , but nice sound when you toe it!

Russ

Suspension wise, yup Nitron are the best (for sensible money... even for non-snesible money they probably still are!)

However, you are looking at £1200 for them... that's a lot of difference over S2 stuff, which is more fit and forget... and for just road use is probably the best solution.

i,d personnally love a set of Nitron(guessing we all would) but i can,t justify spending over £1200 for a car that will more then likey never see the track so the S2 upgrade seams my best option and i really can,t grumble at the price i,m picking the set up for. ;)

lo mate,

my s2s are on the way.

then they are going staright off to steveb for the 120/110 setup. hes then sending them back with the new brackets and im gonna stick em on.

then ill need to get geo! anyone know somewhere close to sheffield?

either that or wait till june when it goes to Mr Foulds for the service.

Archived