litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hgf?

ryan.wilkinson

The plastic dowels were a problem,but I've been reliably informed that quite a few later S2's have been suffering hgf due to poor fitting cylinder liners,I'm sure Davey will be along shortly to explain in depth,his car is one of the S2's that has suffered hgf at 13k miles.

Regards

Jon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, just got back in from the garage (sorry I missed your call Jon- was deep in the throws of swearing at my toytown engine) My latest HGF is due to the gasket being buckled right by the water pump/thermostat outlet to the block. I'd post some pics but am on the laptop and it doesn't connect to the pc, will post some tomorrow night though. Have measured the liners and according to DVA they are low so I am going to need the modified gasket, also I think I'm going to go for the 82 deg stat with some holes drilled in, also just out of interest if any of you s2 a/c lads think you might have hgf- the a/c makes it a whole lot harder- in the end we had to drain the gas out of the a/c and remove the alternator before we could get the head off.

Oh and at 13k this car has lasted brilliantly compared to my last toytown engine- the sport 135 I had only did 8k before giving up the ghost.

People talk about duratec/toyota/vtec transplants, I'm going to save up and have a 1.8tddi focus engine transplant- i have no compassion and no mechanical sympathy for my focus and it hasn't blown a gasket in 127k and 2 years, so why do my k series engines wipe them out quicker than tyres? ah hang on I have to pay if the elise goes wrong, whereas I get a day off if the focus goes wrong. hmmm happy days.

I'm sure I'll be happier tomorrow, well a bit happier maybe.

Archived