litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

High Miles

jtbush

Hello all, this is me first post, so be nice!

Have seen a 51 plate s2 for sale with 42000 miles for 14995. Should I be wary of high milers like this, even though it seems fairly cheap, or are the s2s pretty reliable at this kinda mileage. It comes with a years warrenty as well, so cant be too bad! :drive:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been looking to buy from dealer rather than private though, so this price seemed ok. Been stung with crap cars bought private before, even after thorough checks. Atleast with dealer you get the warrenty and some come back if something goes wrong. Thats my logic, be it slightly silly!

nah, I didnt start that post. Looks like someone in a very similar predicament to me. I am also looking to buy a house soon, so want to get me new car before me girlfriend gets a chance to get her hands on me lotus money to buy carpets, curtains, candels, cushions, and all the other dull things girls like to spend stupid amounts of money on in a house.

fair enough. at least you have some come back with dealers. but if mileage is a factor for you then have a think what the dealer will give you for an S2 with 55k miles on in a years time ?

you'll get the peace of mind but you'll also take a big hit with depreciation

My advice is to buy privately with your fingers crossed and hope for the best :ninja:

"been looking to buy from dealer rather than private though, so this price seemed ok. Been stung with crap cars bought private before, even after thorough checks. At least with dealer you get the warranty and some come back if something goes wrong.

Mmmm,

I suspect you haven't dealt with many Lotus dealers yet :ninja:

Some are good some are total pants,good ones in my experience are....

Nick Whale for service and fixes during warranty.

Williams (Bristol) for buying and service.

Bell and Colvill for parts mail order.

and,

Well thats about it I think,small world is the Dealer network of Lotus.

hth

Regards

Jon

" I am also looking to buy a house soon, so want to get me new car before me girlfriend gets a chance to get her hands on me lotus money to buy carpets, curtains, candels, cushions, and all the other dull things girls like to spend stupid amounts of money on in a house."

Arggghhh mate!,how's she going to cope with the Elise upgrade issues!!!

Think seriously before commiting to either :ninja:

Sports exhaust, induction kit, steering wheels,engine upgrades etc etc

Regards

Jon

" I am also looking to buy a house soon, so want to get me new car before me girlfriend gets a chance to get her hands on me lotus money to buy carpets, curtains, candels, cushions, and all the other dull things girls like to spend stupid amounts of money on in a house."

Arggghhh mate!,how's she going to cope with the Elise upgrade issues!!!

Think seriously before commiting to either  :clap:

Sports exhaust, induction kit, steering wheels,engine upgrades etc etc

Regards

Jon

HAHA, well, the way I get round this, is she has a horse, and spends 150 a month just feeding it, never mind the rest of the stuff that goes with it, so when she asks what I need an induction kit for, and if its really necessary, I will just reply with

"Go muck yer horse out and mind yer own business love"

After I have picked me teeth up off the floor, Im sure we will both agree the induction kit isnt necessary! :ninja:

My advice is to buy from the people that are known on this BBS, LotusBBS and Seloc. Just because it comes from a dealer it doesn't mean that it's any good and the comeback within 1 year is minimal anyway. Buy private and take someone from here to look at it with you. 42k on an S2 should be about 13-14k. I recently bought an immaculate 8k miles for £16k. Just be aware of resale after that and remember that a warranty doesn't cover wear of any kind including engine components.

Your Elise will have a long list of things to do that will keep growing and it really needs some TLC on a constant basis so if you're worried about a warranty - only think about keeping the thing for a year before it runs out - there will be plenty to do after that!

I'd totally agree with Jonathan E on his recomendations! B&C for parts are great, as are EliseParts.

Rob/n9

Archived